I Forge Iron

BeaverNZ

Here is a photo of my press I made about 12 years ago its 2000mm between posts and 1850 from floor to underside of top beam. it has a 18hp 3 ph electric motor and 600mm ram stroke, If you want see it forging 5/8 or 16mm rivets have a look at Engineering Excel face book page I have tried three times to load the vid but it times out when almost finished.

WP_20161003_13_55_14_Pro.jpg

• 2 months later...

Marc1 Yes I have done some forging with it though its a bit slow and work piece looses heat to fast into ram spear and base. I am an engineer by trade been doing it for about 30 years I have been having a big thrash installing a power hammer and its almost operational, early next year I cant wait. The press is set up to have a two speed stroke I made the hydrulic system so the ram can be made to just displace the ram spear so its like a single acting ram and this gives me 33 ton the spear is 110mm dia and at the higher tonage the ram is used as a double acting cylinder which is 200mm dia hyd pressure is 4300 psi. I will put up the hydrulic circut when I can rember how to draw up the symbols for every thing Cheers Beaver

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the hydrulic circut basicly how the fast speed is achieved is by using the single acting spool which feeds oil to the base of the ram which then forces oil out the head side through the check valve and back into the the inlet side of the valve block so it just displaces the ram spear. I have also used steel tubing for my press so there is little give in the system, hydrulic hose always grows a bit, as I wanted to have fine control as i straighten alot of items and the fine control is a great advantage. Cheers BeaverWP_20170109_11_17_22_Pro.jpg