I Forge Iron

Portable Gas Forge - Ellis? Whisper Momma? Other?

RC-Cola

Newbie question: I'm looking for a portable gas/propane forge (primarily used for knife/bladesmithing). I need something that will fit in the back of my Ford Bronco '95 (OJ Simpson version :-). This forum (http://www.bladeforums.com) mentions to seek out Darren Ellis for a good prebuilt option. Where/how do I see the Ellis forge and price, etc? Thanks in advance for any pointers you can provide.

Welcome aboard RC, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge folk live within visiting distance.

A "Whisper Moma" would've fit in our Bronco II easily. My anvil, stand and tools along with. The problem comes with carrying the propane tank safely, it doesn't take much of a leak in a volume the size of a Bronco to literally blow the vehicle to pieces and seeing as someone just opened a door making the dome light switch ignite the blast someone gets tenderized the BAD way.

If you have a trailer hitch receiver there are propane tank carriers that slip in and pin. Sure we get the heebie jeebies thinking about getting rear ended with a 20lb. tank of LPG against the bumper but it's pretty rare they burst even in collisions like that.

You'll also NEED to either let the forge cool to lay your hand on it cool before loading it or have an insulated hot box to carry it in. Look at Farrier's shoeing rigs for ideas, cement backer board is a pretty good heat barrier but I don't know how good a box it'd make, line maybe but probably not make.

Frosty The Lucky.

Darren Ellis sold his business about 5 years ago.  It is now known as www.hightemptools.com.

Why don't you consider building your own forge?  Check out the attachments on the Forge Supplies at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.  Then either make a Frosty's T Burner on this sight or go to high temp tools and buy their burner kit and hook up kit.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne