I Forge Iron

coal suggestions

SJBC,
I see you are in scenic Delaware, we are practically neighbors. We got our coal from Nolt's Mill. They are in Witmer, PA (near Lancaster). You take 896 all the way up, cross 30 and come to the end of the road. Go left and then take your first right. That should be Mount Sidney Road. Nolt's is 360 Mount Sidney Road, Near the RR crossing. Blacksmith's coal was $9.50/100#. Way cheaper by the ton. It is nice stuff, we generated very little clinker in the few times we have used it. Maybe alot of fines, but it burns well. No help for your New England tour, but good to know. Enjoy, MIKE

(DadofFrogPond)

I think in western MA. there are a couple of shops. There use to be one I think in turners falls or gil MA. but it has been some time since I lived there. I think there is a shop in north Hampton. There is a coal yard in worcester ma. I use to drive down from maine to buy it by the ton it was good soft coal. I'd say stop and see my shop but seeing how I am up in maine and just got the roof on it and it is still just empty. Well have a good trip.

SJBC,
I see you are in scenic Delaware, we are practically neighbors. We got our coal from Nolt's Mill. They are in Witmer, PA (near Lancaster). You take 896 all the way up, cross 30 and come to the end of the road. Go left and then take your first right. That should be Mount Sidney Road. Nolt's is 360 Mount Sidney Road, Near the RR crossing. Blacksmith's coal was $9.50/100#. Way cheaper by the ton. It is nice stuff, we generated very little clinker in the few times we have used it. Maybe alot of fines, but it burns well. No help for your New England tour, but good to know. Enjoy, MIKE

(DadofFrogPond)

Thanks I will check that out when I get back from the trip. if you ever down to the shore let me know, stop in and see the shop.

SJBC,

(DadofFrogPond)

This is an excellent price for coal. Lazzari's (from the ABANA coal scuttle list) just raised their prices to $23 for a 50# bag. This is excessive :(. Any lower cost alternatives for California (bay area)?

coal is going up in price everywhere due to china importing to be able to keep up to the demand of their huge growing economy.look what happened to the scrap metal prices.lazzari coal up here is 41.95 a bag plus 13% in taxes and shipping.if i go to pick it up i have a $100 ferry ride.i bought a ton of coal from thak the armourer in ontario.it comes in 70lb bags and worked out to just over $40 each.its awesome coal.we have coalmines in bc but its hard to find good coal.

One of the few benefits of being a relatively short drive from a strip mine. You find a way to ship it and I might pack it up for you :)
I don't know if I should say "Sorry". Every local smith said to go there, I can actually say "I have bought all my coal there". :) I got their address and phone from the web, they are out there. Enjoy, MIKE