I Forge Iron

Is 1141 steel good for hammers or other tooling?

Beatsy' s Forge

I have just acquired quite a bit of 1141 and one piece is large enough to make 2 Mabe 3 hammers . I have searched for info on the steel and found it is low in carbon .It is higher in sulfur and has a good wear resistance.  I am wondering if anyone has used it for hammers or other tooling , If so I have more than I need and would be willing to give some up if anyone has an interest.Oh the place I got it from makes auto parts of different types and this is one type of steel the use.And I also read it may be a stainless? 

Thanks, Martin 

Actually I may have jumped the gun, from the heat treaters app on my iPhone it says never recommended for for forging, someone may be able to chime in with more detailed info on this. Used as a machine steel then heat treated, I would think it is the sulphur content possibly, but I could be wrong.

41 minutes ago, Beatsy' s Forge said:

This is what I  have found on the steel. The sulfur but I have also read a few articles that someone has made a few hammers from it and he said it worked ok .But anyone that can give some assistance in this it would be greatly appreciated. 

THANKS IN ADVANCE. 

Did he forge them though or just make hammers i.e. Machining them from what I read it would make a decent hammer but forging it could lead to problems. 

Nick

I am unsure if the guy forged the hammers but reading it it sounded like he forged it and quenched in oil . 

Big 

It is a screw steel. I am not sure what you mean by that can you explain?  I got the steel from a place near me that presses auto parts using this stuff . If I were to make it into a hammer by say stock removal would it be a better way to get something decent to use? Is this load of steel useless to a smith and should I scrap yard It?

Thanks for the reply .

Martin 

Well for full hardness 48-52 rc depending on exact carbon content you should use brine not oil, oil for sections around .3" or less. You could definetly try it and find out since you have it already, I just don't know if I would trust not running into issues if you made a bunch of em. I would try it.

Nick 

The stock I have is about 3.5x 10in so it would need to be cut and I have about 70 lbs. Of 1to2inx3.5 slices I have no idea what to do with. So for the hammer you said for 3in oil for less than 3 brine ? I was thinking a hammer about 5in from end to end this should be oil quench? 

Thanks again Martin 

.3 for oil as in 1/3 of an inch, only for really small stuff. So I would use brine , could probably swing just water though.  No problem I miss read so I wanted to make sure I corrected it, just because it is "never recommended" for forging doesn't mean ya can't either I'll be waiting to see how it turns out.

We shall give it a try and see ,perhaps it my make a ok tool ,hammer..I will let you know .it will be a little while until I can get to it but you will here about it. 

Thanks for the clarification, Let's me get this right water should be right or shall I try oil as well just to see ? I do have extra just a thought. 

14 hours ago, rthibeau said:

is that 3.5" square stock, cut to 1 or 2 inches long.....and 3.5" square stock cut to 10" long??

Sorry it's round stock all of it 3.5in cot to 1to 2 in. And the 10in piece is also round at 3.5 in in circumference. 

RTHIBEAU 

IF YOU DON'T MIND WHAT DID YOU FORGE OR STOCK REMOVAL WITH THE 1144.

JUST WONDERING.  I AM WANTING TO USE IT AS A COUPLE HAMMERS, CUTOFF HEARTY, FULLERS and I don't know what else. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. MARTIN