I Forge Iron

mullins1955

mullins1955

hi to all .. looking to find imformation on how to cast .. and make my own forge .. i am a green horn so need all the help i can get.. dty it at home. cast brass .. i guess what i need is how can i .. need to know how to make a mold .. or lost wax. i dont know .. but want to .. any one please help .. i guess what i want to know is how can i melt brass and make my own belt buckle at home .. please help

HI there Mullins and welcome to IFI. Probably the best thing you can do to start is scroll to the top of the page and click 'blueprints', and start reading! There are several hundred of these useful articles written by knowledgable persons on a variety of topics from smithing principles, specific projects, tool making, metal casting etc... all available for free!

BTW, it often helps to give advise if we know where you're from; go to the top of this page and click on 'user CP' and give your location. We don't need your exact address, just the country and city or nearest town will do. This isn't a method to track you down, it's just that environmental conditions, local availability of goods and proximity to shops and other metalworkers influence replies.

I don't know if you are interested in forging as well as casting, but usually a heat source for the former is called a forge and the latter a furnace; thought this might help you find the results you want!

Go to the opening page of IForgeIron.com and click on getting started. It will introduce you to the site and ... well ... get you started.

Click on IForgeIron > Lessons in Metalworking > Blacksmithing

IForgeIron > Blueprints > BP0106 Lost Wax Casting