I Forge Iron

wisconsin newb needs help

TFT

So im pretty green to this whole smithing thing so i joined in on the forum fun(post a thread) but im wondering if anyone in Wisconsin or better yet someone in driving distance would be willing to come over to offer advise( or learn along side me) or let me come over to watch someone work (i know creepy). Mostly im trying to work on forge welding but ive had little to show for my effort.

And in an effort to not get turned off to smithing im  swallowing my pride and asking for help

I suppose eveyone needs to know my more presice location... Muskego Wisconsin. And like i said id be willing to drive if thatd be better... and i saw a few north woods folks on here anyone near lake tomahawk/lac du flambeau?

You will not get many offers for folks to drop what they are doing (making money) to travel to your location and spend a day without reimbursement. Many will accept a days free labor sweeping THEIR shop in exchange for letting you watch or even giving advise.

Forge welding is a matter of knowing the metal, getting mild steel hot to where it throws a couple of sparks and sticking it together while in the fire. If it sticks that is the proper temperature, and the weld. Next get it to the same heat, and move the pieces to the anvil and BUMP it with a hammer, then back into the fire. Bring it back up to temperature, quickly to the anvil and LIGHTLY tap it with the hammer to form the weld. Once welded you can now reheat below welding temperature and forge the weld. Practice, practice and more practice is the key to making it work.

Different steels weld at different temperatures and etc. You MUST practice with each on an individual basis until you get comfortable using that metal.

There are several threads that go into greater detail on the forum.

Sorry i didnt want anyone to not make money... and id be happy to even check out someone shop if the price is sweeping. 

Yea ive read alot... and one thing ive read is spending an hour with someone who know their stuff is better than reading for weeks

And restating how to weld doesnt help... ive read that many times and watched those famed youtube folks many times

(Correction) 

If anyone wants to help a starter out, im willing to maybe make a trade(being a machinist) but if no one wants to help its just gonna be alot of wasted propane/firebrick/material/sweat but thats the fun of it

Hey TFT, Welcome to the site.

The first thing I would do is join a local ABANA chapter/ Blacksmiths Guild in your area.  I don't know which one specifically covers your area, UMBA? I think?  That is your best point of contact for locals who you might be able to observe, or take classes from. Joining the national guild ABANA does not hurt either. Second, I would put a better location in your profile because many on this site rely on it when giving advice on where to go, who to see, or other opportunities that might be in your area. 

As far as learning via the time honored school of hard knocks, there is nothing wrong with that either, but I think if you join some local groups you will be fixed up in no time.

TFT, I was only trying to get you information quickly so you could take it to the forge ths weekend and try it. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but you must take it to YOUR forge and build YOUR skills on YOUR anvil. Those who make it look easy have done it hundreds of times before you got there to watch.