I Forge Iron

New member from Southern California

Inflight

My name is Matt and I'm from Long Beach, CA.  Very new to blacksmithing but I have lots of experience working metal in my home machine shop.

I recently acquired a 200 lb anvil and I built a brake drum forge.  My first projects will probably be some simple tools such as punch & drifts as well as tongs.

Here are a couple pictures of the anvil and my forge during construction. And No, that is not the hammer I plan on using...it was just for staging the photo.

New Anvil 1 .jpgHundredweight.jpgforge 2 .jpg

Nothing wrong with using that hammer.

The forge looks too deep to me. Rotors work much better. Check out the solid fuel forge section of the forums. At a minimum you will want to cut a couple of slots so you can get to the middle of a longer bar, and have your piece lay flat in the fire instead of tipped down into it.  

I created a conical bed of a refractory inside the brake drum to reduce the depth. I agree that I might need to cut a couple slots in the side for longer work. I guess that'll depend on what I'm working on.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Forge 4.jpg

Matt

• 6 months later...

Recently I've added a coal tray of about 2 ft square around the brake drum which allows supporting longer workpieces, more coal to coke up, and I can pile the hot coals much deeper.  So far it's worked out very well.

And today I found the name Peter Wright in the side of the anvil.  

Matt