I Forge Iron

Inexpensive Welders

Okay, so here's the deal. Recently I bought a Chinese inverter welder, set up for stick and TIG. So far the stick is pretty good -- I don't have anything in the same size range to compare it to, but it seems to work well. It was $200 and came with everything needed for stick and TIG except the regulator and gas bottle. Pretty good.

Ten-Hammers also recently had a problem with his MIG (a Miller) which necessitated sending it in for repairs. He's borrowing a Hobart right now, and he says it welds very well (testing is ongoing :) ). Hobart is made by Miller. Thus, my question is twofold.

1) Have you had any experience with inexpensive welders? Not the really, really awful 40amp ones, please. Stuff between $100 and $600, non-major brands, etc. is what I'm looking for.

2) For those who have used Hobarts, how were they? They really seem to be straddling the fence between cheap and expensive, and I'd like to know how well this is going for them and their customers :)

Thanks, guys.

My 8 year old Miller 172 lost the drive roller. Possibly a relay (points stuck ). I live in the stumps and service center is in Des Moines Iowa. Supplier (from Ottumwa) goes there once weekly so it is a 3 week turnaround. Future son-in-law has a Hobard 175 (Christmas gift last year). He has no bottle so been usin FCAW. He brought it to the shop couple days ago and I hooked it up. Seems to run fine. THis welder was bought from Tractor Supply in a package deal (all but the bottle) for around $400.- I think. Looking inside the door I can see that the drive assy is not what the Miller is (plastic stuff instead of metal). the drive roller itself is steel though and the bearing for the feed. The controls are about the same in looks and heat ranges/wire feed capacity. We'll see how it works. So far, so good.

Local welding supply dealer that has Miller, Lincoln and Hobart on the sales floor said Hobart is a cheaper welder wrapped with aluminum wireing, and the contacts are alunimum instead of copper. For the adverage weekend warrior it is ok but for full time industrial use, go with the Miller or Linchon. You get what you pay for - his words.

I used to live 5 minutes from a Harbor Freight store and was in there every weekend looking for stuff I couldn't live without. I cannot tell you how many times I saw someone drag in a welder, a motor, a drill-press, a you-name-it with Chinese made electrical stuff on it. All of it was nearly new and non-functioning. The way I see it, if the Chinese made stuff was produced for a western company with a US presence, it is probably OK. If it was made by a Chinese company FOR a Chinese company, beware. :roll:

Hobart used to make a good engine driven rig - a buddy of mine has one that's about 7-8 years old and it never gives him a lick of trouble in everyday use. On the other hand, I have heard more than a few bad things about all the major brands of newer machines that have solid state electronics - trouble galore on circuit boards in dusty environments. My newest machine is 12 years old (Miller Synchrowave 250) and my ancient Miller 150 MIG is over 20 years old. Both have old-style relay technology and work fine in my dirty shop.

I personally would not buy any off-brand welder - Miller, Lincoln, Hobart and ESAB all stand behind their products so you will always get service in the event you do have a problem.

Ive had a Miller Econotig for about 15 years, and it has never missed a beat.
Ive also used the Miller 180 mig for years and it is a great machine. You will never be sorry spending a little more and getting a good tool, versus spending 30 percent less and getting a cheapo.

Y'all are simply not understanding... I _know_ that Miller, Esab, Lincoln, etc. are good quality machines and are backed up by their manufacturers, etc, etc. I've used 'em for years. What I'm curious about is _people's experiences with cheap welders_.

There are many farmers out here who have purchased welders from places such as China, Taiwan, India, etc.. As far as quality and problems go, those that have purchased such things have done so with the prior knowledge that it may be a one- or two-use item. About half of them were right... the fourth or fifth time they needed welding done, the welding was accomplished with my portable Miller (about a 1975 model). The others can be divided in half as those who still have yet to use the welder again, and those who can't believe the poor thing still turns on, let alone work.
I say it is a roll of the dice.

Y'all are simply not understanding... I _know_ that Miller, Esab, Lincoln, etc. are good quality machines and are backed up by their manufacturers, etc, etc. I've used 'em for years. What I'm curious about is _people's experiences with cheap welders_.

Tyler when it comes to tools, espcially tools you are going to try and make a living from you get what you pay for.
Just my thoughts on it.

Ralph

you get what you pay for

Or "the quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

This is true for the most part I suppose. There's a lot of stuff sold for far more than it's worth and on the other hand a good tool can be had for a song. Generally though price should indicate quality and why spend $10 ten times rather than $80 once.

I wouldn't know a cheap welder if it bit me on the rear end... a good paint job would do it for me :? Should a machine pass the livery test I would then make a purchase based on the above. We are blessed here though as there is always a good response to someones "curiosity" and the cat is safe.

OK, here goes. Got the Miller back from repair shop today. Close to $200 but glad to have it back ($ 65 bucks an hour for labor BTW). the 175 Hobart Handler worked really nice (it is pretty much brand new). Tyler, you asked for an informed opinion so here goes. I got a lotta splatter with the Hobart (same regulator setting. I just unhooked the Miller and hooked up the Hobart. Roughly 22 lbs ). My supplier tells me this is due to electronics. The Hobart has a little coarser arc. Absolutely good bead (.030 ) and good welds. Looking inside the door, the roller assy ain't the same ( I may have already covered this in previous post). The gun on the Hobart is a Miller. :) Miller 172 (now 175) weighs a lot more. My money, glad got the Miller but ain't had 8 years experience with a Hobart in the shop either. Woody's word is good nuff for me (he owns one). Mebbe we'll find somebody else with the years on the tool to give you a comparison. Everything breaks. Miller service center fixed mine. They ever want my shop work they pay the labor price too. :)