I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Anvil

Does anyone know how to find out how old and be able to put a purchase price on a PW anvil. The anvil has minor chipping on the table which is to be expected. The horn is perfect,The table is also as flat as when it rolled out of the plant. I am not sure what size the hearty is and it has a pectoral hole. The numbers thar are visible are the weight which is I believe 140lbs. The number is 1-0-25 if I am incorrect about the weight being 140lb please let me know what is the proper weight. The date is not visible that I could find it could be used derived a thin layer of paint. If the date are on these anvils and I didn't see it were is usually location?  The only other numbers on it are under the horn on the visible side of the bottom of the feet are a number 7 one on each foot. Other than that nothing I can find.   I have already done some searching on the stickys but I think my question is a little to specific for the search. So if there is anyone that can help please do so .Also the only other information I can give is it has two sets of I think they are called handle holes which are under the horn on the body and under the table on the body.these holes are also seen between the feet in the same location as the holes on the body. I'm not sure if this will help with age .Or help me make a fair offer for it either. The other thing is the step shows wear it looks to be saddled or dented in is what I would say either way please give me a hand in getting an approximate age and be able to give this guy an honest price. 

Thanks 

Need a picture of the logo and anvil to get a rough age. Peter Wright didnt serialize or date their anvils. If its in average condition and based on your location it is probably worth around $3 per lb. But of course it is really worth what ever someone will actually pay!

Frozen forge  I will get pictures tomorrow .Let me ask you what would you pay if it is prior the time when PW made changes to there anvil to compensate for saddling. I am not a professional at this but to me and the references I have seen regarding this type of anvil. This one is in almost perfect shape. The other thing is if the anvil was made after the modifications to the horn and such which version is worth more to a smith? I am not particularly wanting to pay 3.00 a lb, isn't that like retail prices?either way let's get some pictures and perhaps I can get a little more info.By the way aren't PW a great or decent anvil for a first anvil? I also have an opportunity to get a Fisher #300 for 600.00 is this a good deal? 

Based on what I would pay isn't really applicable as up here in Alaska as anvils as rare as palm trees and so priced accordingly. The Peter Wright up here would be sold on the same day. The Fisher (assuming it is in fair condition and actually is 300lb) at that price would be sold on the 1st phone call cause I would hopefully be the first caller!

The saddle area on an anvil really is nothing to worry about unless it is extreme and has effected the structural integrity.

About the only anvil I would not recommend as a first anvil would be a cheap cast iron that you had to pay for. 

Other people on the forum rarely pay more than $1 per lb.

Be respectful, offer what you are willing to pay and gracefully accept the answer whatever the outcome.

Hey, I have a used car, it's a Ford what's a good price?   Really hard to answer that without a lot of info or a few pictures right?

Retail for new anvils that are well made are way beyond $3 a pound, retail price for cast iron ASO's has no place in the discussion.

The CWT weight system given X Y Z: X * 112 + Y * 28 + Z    and Y can only be 0-4 and Z can only be 0-27  so  1 0 25 = 137 pounds and will probably be a pound or two lighter.  A bathroom scale will weigh it.

Anvils are not considered "old" till they get to be over 200 years old.  I still use one made in 1828 from time to time and I use one made about 10 years ago as well.  Condition is the major factor in price along with Make.  Peter Wright is one of the "good" makes.  You may want to read up on the ball bearing test which can show you if an anvil has lost it's temper in a structure fire. (They can be re-heat treated but the cost is usually more than an anvil in better shape and there is some chance of catastrophic failure.)

By table I think you mean Face as the cutting table shouldn't chip; Pectoral is Pritchel and Hearty is Hardy---you have autocorrect on don't you?

As for date: is it stamped England?  (post 1910); but who cares about the date! 

Frozen forge  I will get pictures tomorrow .Let me ask you what would you pay if it is prior the time when PW made changes to there anvil to compensate for saddling. I am not a professional at this but to me and the references I have seen regarding this type of anvil. This one is in almost perfect shape. The other thing is if the anvil was made after the modifications to the horn and such which version is worth more to a smith? I am not particularly wanting to pay 3.00 a lb, isn't that like retail prices?either way let's get some pictures and perhaps I can get a little more info.By the way aren't PW a great or decent anvil for a first anvil? I also have an opportunity to get a Fisher #300 for 600.00 is this a good deal? 

Yes , I don't have an auto correct on what I'm using. I guess if I  can get it than just do it.