I Forge Iron

Railroad Spike Split Cross

HEAP of JEEP

Still trying to come up with some cool ideas for my first craft show in a couple of weeks.  Played around with a spike last night.  Saw this idea when I was googling spike ideas, and decided to give it shot.  Took longer than I wanted but I think I can get them done quicker on future ones.

20160716_144521.jpg20160716_144334.jpg20160716_144415.jpg20160716_144431.jpg

It could use texture, I like wood grain myself, it's supposed to be a rugged cross. I'd ease up on the heat to let the colors run more evenly. Running from unheated to blue says the torch was too close, I'd use a softer flame. I also like a little more finial on the ends, splitting and scrolling flat looks nice as does a lateral draw though not so much.  Making it stand on the head is a good feature though it'll still be tippy and being steel could do real damage if it fell off a top shelf or mantel on a foot, head or something fragile. NO, I haven't figured out a wide base I like, though a small mound shaped base can represent Golgotha. Still . . .

That's just me though. Really nice job on the crucifix, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 7/16/2016 at 10:26 PM, DSW said:

I like it. I'd love to see picts of where and how you cut the spike if you make another one.

I forged up another and ran video of it. Don't know if I showed everything, but it gives the general idea.  Don't know the rules on posting video links, so I don't do it, but you can find it on my youtube channel under HoJ Forge or I can private message you the link.