I Forge Iron

Swedish anvil id help

I've got a buddy that has an anvil that belonged to his grandfather . I'm trying to help him find out about it.

thanks for any help  one side has Sweden on it the other has  n o h a  and the number 6

oops they're upside down

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do you have any better pictures? An overall shot from the side including the top is helpful having the light come in from a shallow angle from one side in the pic helps make punched and cast figures stand out as well. Another useful trick is to rub it down with chalk, charcoal, etc. and wipe the surface off the powder retained in low spots will make things stand out better as well.

All in all I'm a HUGE fan of Swedish cast steel anvils. What little I can see of one edge in the pics appears to be typical edge chipping for a Swedish steel anvil, they're hard enouth to be a little brittle and missed heavy blows often knocks out chips like that.

Frosty The Lucky.

NOHAB made a very high quality anvil but not a very well known one. They were only imported in limited numbers and I have only seen 2 or 3. They are comparable to kohlswa, Sisco, or Soderfors. As those others they were made of cast swedish steel. I wish I had one!

NOHAB Swedish Cast Steel Blacksmith Anvil. NOHAB anvils were made in Trollhättan, Sweden by Nydqvist och Holm Aktiebolag ( Nydqvist Och Holm AB [AB = Aktiebolag = Company] or NOHAB). The company was founded by Antenor Nydqvist, Johan Magnus Lidström and Carl Olof Holm in 1847 as Trollhättans Mekaniska Verkstad as a manufacturer of turbines for hydraulic power plants. In 1865, the company made its first steam locomotive and in 1912 the 1,000th locomotive steamed out of the factory. In 1916 the company was reconstituted as a limited company and became NOHAB. Obviously this company knew how to cast steel and tried their hand at making anvils.