I Forge Iron

• 5 months later...

Alright, we are going to the TMI dept for a minute.  It was about the time of this discussion that we, best thing about me and myself, purchased an older motorhome and did some traveling.  My wife is NED (no evidence of disease) concerning the breast cancer we discovered a year earlier.  In May of 2015 she had her well woman exam and the mammogram showed nothing, they double checked it after September of that year she had 4 cm tumor in her right breast.  Bi-lateral mastectomy, chemo, Herceptin regimen with the possible heart hiccups etc.  My position is that cancer might take my wife but when it does all it's going to get is a shell.  Her list bucket will be empty, nada, vapors only.  Blacksmithing isn't in the same room as the list bucket.  The older motor home is the number one priority at this time.

We bought the two hammers together.  My bud wanted the shorter one because it fit better in his shop area.  So before we head out for our great RV adventuring one oh one I'm going to make sure the shorter hammer functions well enough for bud to enjoy it.  The old spring set up is at THE spring shop in Dallas according to reputation.  The master spring guy has a full plate with normal vehicle spring stuff, even though they are basically a blacksmith shop for custom leaf springs he told me he will make me what I want because he doesn't have a clue about what we need.

Here's my plan: multi leaf assembly based upon the tall hammer with five springs 2 1/2" wide and 5/16ths thick.  The biggest difference is the overall length, 38" vs 40" and the shorter springs will be longer by a couple of inches.  The connecting rod will be made from a tractor three point top link so we get the adjustments we need when using tooling.

I've modified the anvil portion of the hammer and will go over that in a couple of days.  Monday I will call the spring master and give him the above instructions.  Concerns and advice is appreciated.

One of the issues I'm having fun with is the memory comes and goes.  After bud called me with the information that the spring master would make what we wanted I went to google for some discussions on the topic.  This thread came up number one.  I make jokes about the safety glasses with the readers is because there are a bunch of us old guys who need the readers and safety glasses these days.  Now I appreciate Google even more, and the young people think it's for them..........

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG