I Forge Iron

Hello from Barkerville BC.

O'connell

Hello smiths,

I have been learning a lot from this site so I figured I should join and contribute.  I have always been into metal working but just recently (spring 2015) started smithing in Barkerville. It's basically a small gold rush town turned into a museum. Worked part time last year and full time this season, so I am getting lots of practice now. I have had some instruction from three smiths that I know, but want to learn as much as I can. I have fallen in love with blacksmithing and am building my own 1800's shop on my property here in Wells. I have most of what I need except a forge.

I have included a few pics from last summer.

smith_1[1].jpg

smith_5[1].jpg

smith_6[1].jpg

Good Morning O'Connel

Lots of people looking for Coal Forges. If you are in Victoria I may be able to find one for you. Lots of information in this Forum for making your own.

I was in the Barkerville Shop a couple years ago, is the Little Giant/Jardine still resting on it's side, on the floor?

Check out Vancouver Island Blacksmith's Association www.viblacksmiths.com

Next Canadian National Blacksmith Conference is set for July 3-6, 2017. Just outside Vancouver in Cloverdale.

Neil

• 11 months later...

Thanks swedefiddle. I am building my own forge with rock and brick. A smith friend of mine brought me a large flat piece of rock for the top. He even cut it into a square for me. What a guy.

The Little Giant hammer was upright when I started working here, but it was sunken into the ground a good 6 inches. I got it out of the dirt and my boss helped me move it closer to the front of the shop, and on wooden 4x4's set in the ground. I am putting the foot pedal and clutch rod back on, and then hopefully a shaft and pully coming out through the wall from the back room, with a belt hooked up to the hammer. Just for show, but it will look great. The hammer can no longer be used due to a huge crack.

I've done a few things to get the shop looking right. I put the swage back on it's square block that the anvil was on. Put a large log down in the ground for the anvil. I raised it up an inch. I made some u-nails to hold the anvil down solidly. Just making everything more efficient and easier on my body.

A couple more pics from last season. The second one was taken by Mia Cirotto and is my favorite.

Me smithing ( purple shirt ).jpg

14125530_10157496416545165_373388688566780076_o.jpg

Thanks for the welcome Soupyjones. It's amazing how many visitors I meet in Barkerville that are into or are getting into blacksmithing. All different ages too. A lot from BC. I'm looking forward to starting on my forge this summer. I have small and medium sized hand blowers, but will build a big set of bellows eventually. I love the rhythmic motion of them.

Also, I can't figure out how to get rid of the double picture post at the start of this thread. Sorry for that folks.

It has been taken care of