I Forge Iron

Mead Glugging!!!!!

Archie Zietman

Hello.
Last week my parents gave me the OK to start brewing mead. I may be 6 years too young to legally drink it, but my parents have let me have my share of manischewitz, and grappa over the years, and are fine with it, so long as I don't sell it or give it away to minors or drink it on non-special occasions. So far it tastes great, it's an improvised apple-cinnamon recipe. :D

They expect you to vote on a who will run this country at the same time they allow you to hit the heavy stuff. The latter is not compulsory but it helps in executing the former!...18 is the votin' 'n' drinkin' age here. Oh to be 18 again :) I've never tried mead I wonder if it would help my tin-whistle playing as much as the Guiness does :wink:

Mmmmmm... Mead. :drool:

Had some fantastic blackberry mead once. Sits right up there with oatmeal porters for me. Love it.

I've been thinking of getting into home brewing myself. A buddy consistently turns out some awesome nut brown ales. Every couple of months he shows up to work and hands me a clinking backpack and just winks.

mine has been going for a week'n a half. I just racked it, to clear a 1/2 inch thick layer of sediment on the bottom, and watered it down slightly, to keep the carboy full. There's barely any fermentation going on right now, but the balloon/airlock is still upright and inflated, and I'm gonna wait for it to deflate before bottling. Should be in about a week or two, bread yeast being as strong as it is. :D mmmmm...
And Strine, I'm not a drunk, I was sober when I voted and went Kerry thank you very much!!! 8)

nonononono! It was a not very well executed joke, saying that only silly drunks are pro-Bush. I didn't actually vote, I was saying that I am just not very enamoured with Bushie baby and his administration, and was more for Kerry during the elections. never mind, forget it. :oops: :lol:
Mead was 1 gallon of apple juice, and 3 pounds of honey simmered for 20 minutes, with cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg. Then I let it cool down till it was tepid (less than warm) and then mixed 1/2 of a cup of water with a 3 pack of fleischmann's rapid rise bread yeast, and pitched it in. do it in the sink, as soon as the yeast hits the must(applejuice/honey etc) it foams up like anything and then you cap the bottle with a balloon with two pinpricks in it. works great as an airlock. :D happy brewing! Don't get confused! :lol:
Hard cider is great, especially the stuff you get in north france.

Archie, sounds like you are a true craftsman... 8) Let us know how it turns out!

Actually, how about using your new blacksmithing skills to fashion some hardware for your brewing hobby? Bottle racks, bottle openers, etc. Maybe even a large-scale rack to hold your fermentation bottles/buckets. How cool would that be?

:D

Archie, sounds like you are a true craftsman... 8) Let us know how it turns out!

Actually, how about using your new blacksmithing skills to fashion some hardware for your brewing hobby? Bottle racks, bottle openers, etc. Maybe even a large-scale rack to hold your fermentation bottles/buckets. How cool would that be?

:D

You'll have a synergy of your energies... :)

just bottled it. I filtered it through coffee-filter-paper, and then into bottles. I corked them and then dipped the tops up to an inch down their necks in melted wax, just to be sure it was airtight. Then I opened the first bottle, and it is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! yum! yum! now to make a few iron racks to hold it. I'll be giving most of it away though, a gallon goes a LONG way. so long that I din't have enough bottles for the last third of the gallon. I got 6 though.
I'm gonna save one for a special occasion with lots of people. One goes to my cousins and aunt and uncle in engyland, because I'm missing my cousin's bar-mitzvah :( one to my mad italian neighbor who makes his own wine beer and whisky by the barrel-load and one for a friend whom I'll be staying with in chicago in a few weeks. still leaves me 2 bottles for the here and now! :D

bread yeast stops fermenting and dies at around 18%, and my yeast stopped fermeng which means the yeast are dead which means the alchohol content is about 18% I may be wrong though. :D

Actually if I remember correct brewing yeast will die for several reasons. One is that there is not enough food (sugar) so it may not be 18%. If you add a wee bit of sugar water it might re-ferment.
YMMV

Ralph 8)

mouko yamamoto, I had about 1/2 and inch of sediment in the bottom of my carboy during the first week, then I racked it, and another 3/4 settled on the bottom. it tastes fine, just let the sediment settle until the mead is clear before siphoning it off into bottles, and if you want to be extra careful, do it through coffee filter paper.

I was kinda worried because my mead didn't do anything for almost a week. It just sat there, making me angry, but I figured I'd give it time.

Sunday I checked it, and there was a mess load of bubbles at the top. I shook it, and it bubbled like when you lightly shake a bottle of soda.

I figure I'll give it a few more days, rack it for secondary fermentation, then bottle a few days later. I'm so happy right now, kinda like when you ace a test you thought you had failed.

you put yeast in it right? you need to let it stand until less than room temperature, minimum 3 hours before putting the yeast in, otherwise the yeast will die, and barely any will stay alive. Pitch more yeast in, it should froth up right away, and give off only clean bubbles, and flush away the brown yucky ones. It takes everal weeks to finish fermenting, mine took 3. Have patience