I Forge Iron

Hi from Vancouver

Marlin65

Hi all just joined. I am located in Vancouver BC Canada.

I have a lot of interests. Beating on red hot steel being one of them. Played with a coal forge for a bit, and always wanted a gas forge. I was able to get some Kaowol and I have a anvil so thought it's time to build a forge.:D

So joined here to learn what's best before I get started. I am also looking for the refractory cement or whatever is best to line it with. If someone in my area knows where to get that I  would like to know?

Looking forward to doing some reading here.

Cheers Rob

Good Morning,

There is a group of guys at the Burnaby Museum and at the Langley Museum Blacksmith Shops that can answer your questions. I will be going back and forth from the Island setting up the next CanIRON XI, which will be held at Kwantlen Polytechnic University in Cloverdale. July 3-6, 2017.

We get the refractory from a supplier on your side, Richmond/Surrey area.

Jump on a Ferry and come over for one of our events. www.viblacksmiths.com

Welcome to our world, there is no end of Learning.

Neil

Welcome aboard Rob, glad to have you. The gas forge section here has a lot of info about gas forges and burners. There are almost always threads running about building forges and burners. Pull up a chair, bring something to drink, a snack and check out the gas forge section. It'll give you a good idea of what's happening in a gas forge, size, burner types sizes, etc. There are a lot of details and it really helps if you have a handle on a subject before you try talking about it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greenbarn potters supply in Port Kells might be a good place to look.  That is where I picked up my fire brick a few years back.  

You said you played around with a coal forge for a while, could I ask where you got your coal?  I'm out in the valley and am having a hard time sourcing any coal.  I'm also just starting out so I don't really have any contacts in the community with makes it a bit more challenging as well.