I Forge Iron

hollow fixture

dps9999

I know posting this i am going to get all sorts of resposes like "do it freehand jigs are garbage" that kinda thing....that being said i am just curious if any one uses one of those hollow grinding fixtures (like the one jantz has) if so  do you like it, what can and cant be done with it ect...

I made one of those jigs as there are enough vids etc to figure how to do it. It works fine. That being said, I went back to free handing as I felt I had more control. fwiw. Also,

the cost of the jig if you don't make it, is astronomical. I always have a desire to challenge my skills doing it free hand.

John

I bought a Jantz Jig for my hollow grinding and I really like it. It takes a good bit of adjusting but if you do a lot of the same size and shape blades it will come in handy. I was hesitant about spending the money but I am glad that I did.

I found one at a 'ol maker's garage sale..........bought it for $50 , love it

to use a jig or not doesn't make you a better or less a knifemaker, I do both , its an aid like a 2x72 grinder or an digital oven or a mill or.........

love the results , once set up made a dozen of these in about 1/2 hour........

image_zpsolkh2y1z.jpeg