I Forge Iron

My forge

is the hole entire pilar of rims filed with coal?

Littleblacksmith

Never seen anything quite like that. I don't use a coal forge tho and don't get out much :D

Its pretty cool tho. It's nice not having to worry about stuff like winter and snow :lol:

Burying your air hose underground so you can work all around the forge is a neat idea.  If your grating burns through pretty fast, you might consider trying to find some kind of cast iron grate.  They will last quite a bit longer.  I found an 8" drain grate to use in mine.

11 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Might try cutting notches in the rim so you can pass long peices threw the heart of the fire. 

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually that's my next modification in conjunction with a fuel table built around the notches while at the same time cutting down on the depth of the firepot because as it is, it's to deep for my likening.

31 minutes ago, arkie said:

Burying your air hose underground so you can work all around the forge is a neat idea.  If your grating burns through pretty fast, you might consider trying to find some kind of cast iron grate.  They will last quite a bit longer.  I found an 8" drain grate to use in mine.

Thanks for the compliment. Right now the perforated grate is working well. I do already have a coal burning stove cast iron grate on hand for a backup plan.

12 hours ago, 7A749 said:

Never seen anything quite like that. I don't use a coal forge tho and don't get out much :D

Its pretty cool tho. It's nice not having to worry about stuff like winter and snow :lol:

Living in the south does have its advantages. I don't have to much to worry about snow and extremely cold temperatures. But I do have plans in the works to have my work area completely covered before winter gets here.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, they are all welcome.