I Forge Iron

Check me please 1 inch T burner

natenaaron

Decided to go with 1 inch T burners in my forge.  I can't find the measurements for a 1 inch burner so I am upsizing based on the 3/4 inch T.

3/4 inch T has 1x1x3/4 connector so 1 inch will need 1.5x1.5x1 T

SInce going up in air then should go up one size in mig tip or does the mig tip stay the same size?

You need to go up in mig tip size.  The diameter of the orifice of the jet should be approximately 0.06 times the diameter of the burner tube.  Keep in mind that mig tips are rated for the diameter of wire that passes through them, not the actual diameter of the orifice.  A mig tip for 0.045 wire will get you pretty close.  You may end up not trimming the tip much or at all to tune it though.

Also your tube length should be 8 to 9 times the diameter, so simply around 8 to 9 inches length for a 1 inch diameter tube.

You would use a tip for .035" or .040" wire. One size is a little under and the other a little over size in my burners. You could go with the smaller size and enlarge it with a file from a set of torch tip cleaners; Their actual diameters are  044" and .048"; so if you wanted the optimum size to begin with you would need to use a dispenser needle with an .046" inside diameter.

Make the pipe 9-1/2" long if you want to follow the nine diameters rule.

Or, if you wanted to get slick you could use the larger hole diameter, but in a dispensing needle. Why? Because the larger diameter of the "T" fitting is probably going to place the end of your gas jet further than you want it to be from the entrance hole to the vertical pipe, degrading burner performance. But by using a dispenser needle you can lengthen your gas jet, getting it back into the "sweet spot." BUT, the longer jet may create too much friction from the longer length capillary tube, so a few extra thousands of diameter will take care of that...just doing my bit to keep thing complicated, Nate:D