I Forge Iron

Some thoughts on skilled trade shortages

Of course how many graduates start saving when they should!  (Had an econ class taught by some real world economists that spent an entire class period going over how to invest in mutual funds, (large cap vs small caps, morning star, etc) trying to encourage students to start saving ASAP!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas, I agree with you to the extent that practicality should be at the forefront of core curriculum.  My econ professor was similar to yours.  However business classes tended to be all about the "soft skills" which roughly translated to pretending that every approach to a management problem was equally valid.  If that were true, it's difficult to pin down what the class was actually teaching.  Seems like it'd be more honest to call it: "ego building for unqualified leadership".

It's been a couple of decades; but I still remember the Professor telling us about being a commodities buyer, (chicken feed) for a very large company and waiting to make a big buy as the market was trending lower, only to get caught by Chernobyl  and so losing over a million dollars rather than saving a couple of thousands... Moral: don't bottom fish.   First econ class I ever had where real world practicalities were discussed over theoretical  elasticity of supply and demand curves...

I've had managers who majored in business and managers who got there from actually doing the work and I can say that in general working for an engineer in management made a lot more sense than working for a Dilbertian PHB.