I Forge Iron

Question about coal and supplier in Illinois area

blacksmithtech,

I was in a situation a couple months ago where I needed coal bad. I ended up ordering some from these Reboy Supply Their phone # is on this main page, so I'd just give them a call.

Their blacksmith coal page has apparently been hijacked or something, all I can get is the order page, but the price list is on the page that won't come up.

It is a not as hot and produces a bit more ash than the coal I got from Kayne's, but it is cheaper, even with the shipping charges (at least it was a couple months ago). With the price of gas, it actually saved me a good bit. Plus, UPS just brings it to your door in 100lb boxes.

Don

Edit: bad liinks removed as they do not work

Well, I live in southern IL and i have tired pocahotas coal and I didn't like it. There is a place in Murpysburo in southern IL I think it was around 180 dollars for a ton. I think it works much better than the Pocahotas (Sp?) coal you get from Brazil Indiana. But thats my personal opinion. I know many smiths prefer pocahontas.

The place is called Boss Trucking Co. in Murphysburo, IL

Go to the article on BP0051 Good Coal and BP0131 Coal, Coke, and Rocks on the IForgeIron.com Blueprints page.

12,000 BTU is low for forging. There are 10 different seams of Pocahotas coal. Pocahotas #3 seems to work well for blacksmithing, but Poca #3 in Ky, Wv and Va may give 3 different analysis results. (read the article on Good Coal to find out why)

One thing to consider is that when your buying coal, you are actually buying the BTU's per ton. BTU's in the 14K to 15K range is good for blacksmithing. If you are sold low BTU coal by the ton, then your buying rocks, slag, dirt, and clinker, because it sure does not burn as hot, and the stuff that does not burn is left behind as clinker and ash. You pay the same per ton for shipping whether it is high BTU coal or a sack of rocks.

Kayne and Son Coal is listed as "Metalurgical grade bituminus blacksmith coal -15,500 BTUs."
Centaur Coal is listed as "boasts a high heat value."
Both cater to blacksmiths for a living by providing good products.

Ask for a coal analysis sheet from the supplier, they should have it on file. It will give you the BTU value and specs of the coal.

I'm in Momence, IL--South of Chicago--out in the farmlands 8) I'm from E.Ky. so when I visit "down home" I always go to one of the bunch of coal yards there and fill 2 big plastic containers from wallyworld that are $2 each that hold at least 100lb. of stoker & pay less than $2 per hundred lbs. for the coal. Sometimes I even get it free if a relative or old buddie is around. The coal burns as good as any I have bought elsewhere for a lot more $$$!

Coal is about as variable as wood so it's hard to comment even on a single seam as it may vary within itself. If you find something you like and it's available economically, I always recommend buying as much as possible to prevent having to chase it later. The Cumberland Elkhorn stuff I have seen from Ky is pretty good but have also seen very high quality from Illinois, Alabama and Georgia. I think it just depends on finding a good quality smithing coal with the right specifications that's affordable.

Their price has doubled in the last 6 months and shipping would be a nightmare, but I can attest to the quality of the Kayne and Son's (Blacksmith's Depot) coal. I'm not sure where they get it, but it is clean and hot.

I've been using if for awhile, as I picked some up in person right before the price increase. It cokes great, and I only have to mess with cleaning out clinkers before my next fire. (A sin, I know. Surely I will be struck down). I get only about 2 quarter sized lumps of clinker in a 3-5 hour run of the forge.

I don't know how far Grundy, Va. is for you, but my local guild gets some pretty decent coal from there for $80 per ton. May or not be worth the drive given current fuel prices. :cry:

I'm in Western Illinois, I first tried some local coal from the August area, and it was plenty hot, but seemed to make a lot of stinky smoke, but that was before I had much experience at fire building. Since then I've used several ton of the Pocahontas coal from Indiana and I like it for the most part although like others have said it can be variable. I think there used to be a supplier in Pekin or East Peoria but I can't seem to locate the name and number. For myself, unless transportation costs come down I'm thinking of switching to LP gas (which also is transported, but more readily available than coal.) Actually there are quite a few members of the IVBA in your neck of the woods. I would join them, its only $15 per year and get to know some of the area craftsmen, they can give you better info than I can, since Western Illinois is like being in another state from you.

Anvillain