I Forge Iron

Yamaha HL500 replica fuel tank

BeaverNZ

Im buliding a HL 500 replica and this is the fuel tank as its being made, I have been side tracked a bit as i was researching forging conrods and rekindled an interest in knife making. I really like cable and pattern welded blades but as it happens i have come across a Massey inslise 2CWT power hammer which will be good i think to try to forge the conrod for the bike engine. I could buy one but its most of the fun is in the making and learning of the process and I am an engineer and this helps keep it fresh and challenging so it is sort of related to forging, My hammer is not installed yet but hope to start soon.

P1010455.JPG

P1010460.JPG

P1010464.JPG

WP_20150830_16_23_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20151121_11_59_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20160115_16_29_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20160423_14_15_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20160423_14_25_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20160423_16_18_06_Pro.jpg

YOU need an English wheel to finish form and plannish the tank. It'll save you a LOT of hand plannishing and being an engineer shouldn't be much challenge to make. Remember to scale it to the size of your project or (Heavens forbid) make it adjustable.

Oh yeah, we WILL want to see pics of your hammer soon and it doesn't need to be set up to shoot pics. We LOVE pics if you haven't heard. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty

Here are some other pics first my unfinished wheel made out of an old tyre tube patch vulcaniser I got from the local recycling centre for $20 next is My 100 ton hyd press which I made about 10 years ago its 2000 between the posts the biggest in town but not the gruntiest next is a post anvil that i made to sell but no takers it was $110 and then My massey hammer got that for $500 at an auction complete with motor switch gear etc Cheers Beaver     So many projects and not enough time

WP_20160424_09_36_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20160423_16_18_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20160407_15_36_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20151209_09_29_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20151209_09_29_54_Pro.jpg

Frosty

Here are some other pics first my unfinished wheel made out of an old tyre tube patch vulcaniser I got from the local recycling centre for $20 next is My 100 ton hyd press which I made about 10 years ago its 2000 between the posts the biggest in town but not the gruntiest next is a post anvil that i made to sell but no takers it was $110 and then My massey hammer got that for $500 at an auction complete with motor switch gear etc Cheers Beaver     So many projects and not enough time 

Frosty if you like have have a look at my website engineeringexcel.co.nz Cheers

I can see there isn't much I'll have to explain to you. Nice ride is she as fast as she looks?

About that projects and lack of time thng. The longer I live the MORE projects I have. I used to have a front burner and a back burner, now I have back burner warehouses.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sounds like a nice ride. A couple years after buying my '62 Vette I came to realize I'm not really a build hot rods kind of guy. Fortunately I was just out of high school when I discovered life was too expensive for me to spend enough for a hot car. I still think about the 37 chev pickup I almost bought. I wanted to put a hopped up Cadillac Eldorado front end in the box and make a mid engine wheelie truck, 4 wheel steering optional.  Still about the only project car I've wanted in 40+ years. I don't even know which back burner warehouse that one lives in anymore. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Heres a pic of my 48 chev truck it runs the blown 327 small block and 5 sp. I like the early vettes tho I would really like a willys coupe done as a gasser the ford pop on website was a paying job made some headers for it and fitted vented disc brakes to front ive got dissilusioned with website and havent updated for about a year I have an Engineering Excel face book page instead

WP_20151214_17_35_49_Pro.mp4

That video file is huge, do you have a couple pics instead?

I like the early vettes too though the new ones are more reliable, handle better and aren't as maintenance heavy. Dad had a late model year 58, I bought my 62 when he told me I couldn't drive his. Mother didn't like that and we went out and bought mine, I beat Dad home when he picked his up. Silly family dynamics, it was a great family to grow up in.

If it hadn't been for the silly contest I would've held out and shopped around for one of my favorite two years, a early model year 58 or a 63, Stingray with a hotter 327 and 4spd.

I need to stop thinking about hot rods. sniff

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice looking ride but our roads would require a skid plate under the front bumper. Even good roads up here tend to move a lot. This is ice heave and pothole land a new highway tends to need regular repairs in about 2 years if built well. some places they just smooth the ground and call it a road, gravel is a deluxe road.

It took a while but I found pics I could copy. Dad's was a maroon and white late model year '58 like the first pic but without the chrome trunk trim. The second pic is the split window '63 Stingray I think you're referring to. I had a '62 it had the rear deck but not the stingray top and window. The '63 was also the first with independent suspension and as it turned out the one I really wanted.

Frosty The Lucky. 571d453f04e36_58Vetterear.jpg.541bcb3da6571d454e14a77_63Vetterear.jpg.fbf9eec7be

Very nice Yes the split window was what I was meaning. our roads are a bit average at times as well though we dont have any frost heave to deal with, lots and lots of gravel roads which were alot of fun to fang around on when i used to be young and stupid

I grew up in southern California where the roads were about as good as it gets. My '62 had a 300 327 and 2spd power glide auto but was a blast to drive. We used to drive out to a dry lake in the desert and do really wild things with no way of hitting anything if we didn't aim at each other. Run up to about 130mph, crank the wheel and bump the parking brake would send you into a spin that'd make you puke.

I loved that car but had to let it go when I moved to Alaska it just wasn't the thing to drive on icy winter roads and insurance was a killer.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...