I Forge Iron

New Forged Hammer

Latticino

Possibly related to the ongoing surge in interest in bladesmithing, or even blacksmithing in general, prices on dog's head/sawyers/Japanese Cutlers hammers have gotten a bit crazy.  I forged up a copy of any original from a quick picture (foolishly didn't take any dimensions) out of a piece of 2 1/2" dia. 4140 in my home shop a short while ago.  Still need to make some final tweaks to the face, as it currently needs a bit more crown, but thought I'd post for feedback.  This is the third hammer I've forged, and the first in my home shop.  Made good use of a striker (my son until he ran out of gas) and treadle hammer for the punching/drifting.

Original (not my purchase, and price was from many years back):

20151225_231033_zps43quc2fg.jpg

Mine:

20160110_221935_zpsc2lhbgzc.jpg  20160110_221945_zpsi8gzi8ot.jpg 

Not as happy with the rectangular crossection, but it distorted a bit when I did the punching and drifting.  Still, it is just a hammer.  Was aiming for around 3 LBS and lost a bit to grinding.  I think it is at around 2.5 LBS now.  Handle is deliberately beefy as I have large mitts and usually find most standard handles too thin.  This was fun and I plan on making another after I get some use time on this one. 

A friend of mine finished about a 3# a dog faced or whatever hammer a few weeks ago and it's a metal mover. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a tilt to the face away from the handle, "toe heavy" to just get used to or what.

Nice looking hammer you put together. Maybe get the boy a gas card?

Frosty The Lucky.

Matto,

That's good advice.  Mostly I got carried away trying to make the facets all match and removing any hammer marks.  It sure is a lot of work forging the large stuff, especially in high carbon.  I do really enjoy making tools though, and this one looks a lot better in person than my poor photos.  Once I get the face properly crowned I hope it will move metal like Frosty's friends.

Not sure a gas card will do it...  He runs out of steam because he isn't really all that interested and starts playing around with my large 15# striking hammer to get extra exercise.  Then he gets too worn out to properly strike when I'm ready for him.  If I tool up properly I think I can make do with the treadle hammer instead.

Thanks for the feedback.