I Forge Iron

New and looking for local or semi local group

Hi, I'm new to this hobby. well for me its a hobby.  I've made a brake drum forge in a 30 gal barrel, it works great, and I have a hammer and metal to get hot and hit with it.  So I've been doing that for for the last few weeks.  But I'm looking for a group, in my area or somewhat near surrounding areas.  I'm just hoping for a working link to a list if there is one.  The one in the stickies didn't work and it wouldn't let me post there, so I assumed it was locked.  I'm reading the site and have read all the stickies, but I feel the questions I have are probably best answered through seeing or doing it in person, learning from others with far far more experience than I have.

Thank you , just did that. there are indeed a few.  Unfortunately all out of my range.  This is a small place and I know of no one doing this stuff.  I did speak with a farrier, that frequents the mechanic shop I work at, but he didn't know of anyone either including himself.  There was a guy on here that posted in the group list thread from the town over. But he hasn't visited the site in over two years. I went ahead and messaged him anyway to see if he ever found one.

1 hour ago, tdaleh said:

Contact some of the groups could have members close to you.

Echo this, contact the closest couple and see if they have members closer your way  than the base group.  Some Blacksmiths keep under the radar on purpose, zoning,   no business license, what have you.  Send out feelers someone knows everyone in a small area.  Myself being in New England our group covers 6 states!  With members outside those states.  Keep looking and asking.