I Forge Iron

used fire pot value

Kozzy

I just wandered into the sticks to take a look at a blower and post vice that a guy has for sale.  The champion 400 blower is still hooked up to an older forge--a wooden box set-up with a cast fire pot elevated in the middle that is similar to the new rectangular pots from Centaur with a little different clinker breaker.  The pot was in excellent shape with no burn, just barn rusty.  Wind-something brand.  There was also a large sheet metal galvanized hood in reasonable condition.

I wasn't really interested in anything but the blower but the seller wanted it all to go as a package.  I passed but he'll call back before he sells to check again.  So here's my question:  I can figure prices on the blower but I have no clue what an old cast iron fire pot in good shape might be worth.  The wood part is junk--the hood, meh, maybe it could be used for something.  I was just curious if anyone had a guess as to what the adder might be for the cast fire pot--or what it could realistically be sold for if I just wanted to trade dollars in order to get the blower.  It's not something I want but it might be worth paying for and just passing it on at cost.

Any guesses?  Sorry--wasn't in a position to get photos.  I know it's not much to go on without pics--I just don't remember ever seeing a used centaur type pot alone for sale so had nothing to go on.  Next time I go barn tromping I'll remember my phone for the camera.

Oh...and I passed on the post vice also due to price but it might come back around when they stop seeing the over-priced listings on e-bay and check the actual sold pricing.

And dang it...no anvils to be seen.

yes, whirl-wind.  Thanks for jogging the rust from my brain.  Closest new I can find is about a bit over $ 300 but I am skeptical that a used one would bring half that.  I might be completely wrong though.  

Looking at an old ad on the "other" site I see the whirlwind was matched with the champion 400 blower and was made by them.   I'd guess from what I could see that with bead blasting it'd almost be like new.  Nothing seemed chewed away from rust or heat.

If you can read the description, it is of interest. Below the general purpose tuyere is the horseshoe special. The cut-outs are rounded as opposed to squared off. The add says don't delay installing this so you better get to it.

Package deal

20160330_063910.jpg