I Forge Iron

copper hammer heads

therecyclingviking

I work in a smelting plant we have tons of copper come through recently while I was looking through a pile I happen to find three copper hammer heads one 1lb. one 3lb. and one 7lb. they are a little miss shapen but to bad. I am looking for someone I can trust to send them to and reshape them. So if anyone knows anyone I could send them to let me know.

By some petrobond casting sand, make a wooden form as you want the piece to end up looking and make the mold in the sand from that. Remember that you will need considerably *more* copper than is in the head to provide for a good riser!

If they have steel handles they can be cast around it. If it's wood you can either make a core for it or drill/mill the handle hole.

Note that copper is not one of the easier to cast metals as it will cheerfully absorb oxygen from the atmosphere and turn into a shiny copper coloured ceramic in the crucible. You will need to keep O2 out and probably degass it as well.

Casting metal is *much* more dangerous than forging and you should find a local caster that can work you through the safety issues ahead of time---just a drop of sweat can maim and disfigure you for life!