I Forge Iron

Finding Old Anvils

I have been wanting to find a used anvil to get started with. I have always been a fan of flea markets, garage sales, etc., and I cannot remember ever seeing an anvil for sale anywhere in my life. Maybe it's because I'm in the big city (Houston) instead of a rural area. Maybe I'm just the guy who got there too late.

Anyway, I appreciate any tips on searching for a decent used anvil for a beginner. Thanks in advance.

I never thought of forklift tines. I wonder if that kind of steel would also be decent to start out trying to forge simple knives, machetes, etc? I know a lot of guys use old leaf springs for that.

Use new leaf springs rather than old damaged ones.  Find a place that does lifts and lowers and have them save a spring for you when they get a new vehicle in.  I suggest coil springs for starting out. Cut down opposing sides for a dozen + ")"  pieces all the same alloy to practice on.

have you been checking craigslist?? just recently, there was an anvil on there, that im pretty sure was in Houston. it was being advertised as a Columbian anvil that weight more that 100 pounds. but wait, it gets better, the price was 200 dollars! there have been many other anvils, forges, and blacksmithing tools on craigslist that were in the Houston area. also be on the lookout at the scrap yard, for railroad track large chunks of steel or if your real lucky a "real" anvil. this has been said many times before, but ill say it again, the London pattern anvil has only been around for a couple hundred years, and before that smiths used blocks of steel, or what ever they could find. don't give up, eventually you'll find one.

Littleblacksmith

Remember that when you find anvils on Craigslist you are getting ones where people are trying to make money selling them and are at least internet savvy enough to find out the ridiculous prices some folks are asking (but may NOT be getting.... I've seen people asking top HB prices for a Vulcan!)  Finding the ones not on the market can be more cost effective but you do need to step away from the monitor and do the legwork.    

or knock on farmers doors, you never know. do a little pick'en. Even if they don have one they might know of someone who does.

Littleblacksmith

You are still trying to find anvils people are hoping to make money from.  You want to find the anvils that are NOT on the open market.  I have found several anvils just talking to people after church.  Bringing up that I am a smith in "idle" conversation and telling them I'm looking for an anvil.  Please review the TPAAAT for more examples...