I Forge Iron

A few new hammer patterns

Crazy Ivan

Finished up a fun order today. 3 lb left handed diagonal cross pein, 2.5 lb rounder and a heavy 3" flatter. American hickory handles burnt and finished with blacksmith juice (BLO, turpentine and beeswax). 4140 for the rounder and the flatter and 4150 for the diagonal. 

FB_IMG_1458423135163.jpg

FB_IMG_1458423142872.jpg

FB_IMG_1458423154153.jpg

FB_IMG_1458423164499.jpg

43 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Nice looking Hammers Pete! Love the shapes. Good part about intentionally making a left handed diagonal pein is if you get it wrong, your right.

Lol well that's exactly what I got on my 1st attempt. Not every time, but almost every time I tell myself "I've made so many of these, I know it's right" I make the wrong one lol. That's fine though since there's more rightys out there and I have a very nice 2.5 lb right hander on the bench waiting to be handled. I promised Nick that same hammer so it's a win win. Been too busy to finish up my give away hammers lately. Soon though. 

Really nice looking hammers Pete. I really like the decorative incising that makes the head and pein look twisted. It's a very nice personal embellishment, distinctive is good for hand made tools. I'd be proud to have one on my hammer rack.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Really nice looking hammers Pete. I really like the decorative incising that makes the head and pein look twisted. It's a very nice personal embellishment, distinctive is good for hand made tools. I'd be proud to have one on my hammer rack.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you. I just had some photographic hindsight where I realized I  definitely need to make a 2nd fullering tool to make the "twists" run opposite on the opposing side of the hammer. That way they accent eachother better. I think that may look even more slick. 

Just now, Crazy Ivan said:

Thank you. I just had some photographic hindsight where I realized I  definitely need to make a 2nd fullering tool to make the "twists" run opposite on the opposing side of the hammer. That way they accent each other better. I think that may look even more slick. 

I agree, a reverse twist is a very classy look and nobody is likely to mistake it for someone else's product.

Frosty The Lucky.