I Forge Iron

Fabricating a coal forge

Jonsamper

Hello,

I want to build a coal forge ; I've forge a few times using one but I usually spent years using a gas forge only ; 

I know the build itself but was wondering about the pros and cons of using 316 SS (5mm thick) to build it,since I happen to have access to enough of this material ;

thanks for any input you might give;

Jonathan

Thanks Charles,

I have no problem welding it ; I guess I should've been more exact (sorry,my bad!)

I was actually referring specifically to to the safety aspects ; Is it a good idea to use such steel at this thickness? should I use it,wouldn't it emit any toxic fumes at some point after constant working sessions?(that is,more toxic than the usual nasty things this occupation demands that we inhale:) )

Should I coat it with anything?prep it in any way other then welding the shape and pour the coals in it?

Also,is it possible making a "fire pit" out of such steel at that thickness?(I would assume so since SS holds better than carbon when it comes to heat but I guess there're people here who could teach me a thing or two or a hundred)    

thanks again for any help!

(P.S.please excuse me for any mistakes I made typing this,English isn't exactly my first language)

13 hours ago, Jonsamper said:

Thanks Charles,

I have no problem welding it ; I guess I should've been more exact (sorry,my bad!)

I was actually referring specifically to to the safety aspects ; Is it a good idea to use such steel at this thickness? should I use it,wouldn't it emit any toxic fumes at some point after constant working sessions?(that is,more toxic than the usual nasty things this occupation demands that we inhale:) )

Should I coat it with anything?prep it in any way other then welding the shape and pour the coals in it?

Also,is it possible making a "fire pit" out of such steel at that thickness?(I would assume so since SS holds better than carbon when it comes to heat but I guess there're people here who could teach me a thing or two or a hundred)    

thanks again for any help!

(P.S.please excuse me for any mistakes I made typing this,English isn't exactly my first language)

You could make the forge from the SS (sheet or plate, I assume) with a frame of some sort for the table to rest in or on.  The bed of the forge doesn't get as hot as the firepot or what's above it, your hood, if you make one.  My forge has a 1/4" thick (6mm) mild steel plate for the table and cast iron fire pot (brake drum). It has no burned spots.  I don't see toxicity a problem for the bed of your forge, since some cooking utensils will probably be hotter than your forge bed.  You don't need to coat anything.  A firepot is usually cast iron or thick steel (say, 1/2" or thicker).  SS only 5mm thick would not be thick enough and would burn through faster than a cast iron or thick steel one.