I Forge Iron

Multi-use Bit Insert Tongs

mike-hr

It was awful stormy yesterday, I ended up retreating to the shop all day and addressing an issue I've had. It's a challenge to make a separate set of tongs for every flat bar in the shop. After remembering to stay hydrated, I started sketching, then forging and machining, and the thing works. The tong design came from some notes I took at a Mark Aspery class, 10+ years ago. I revisited the idea recently, and I really like them for square and round. I incorporated the removable bit idea to deal with differing widths and thickness of flat stock. The hex bolts thread to and fro to keep the reigns at a comfy gripping space. Started with 1/2 x 1" flat bar.

tongs1.jpeg

tongs2.jpeg

tongs3.jpeg

More pics

tongs5.jpeg

tongs6.jpeg

tongs7.jpeg

Well done - I am working on the same concept, but with a different attack angle. I will do my best not to let your excellent execution contaminate my thinking - I was not sure I should even look at this thread, but I think I will be OK.:rolleyes: