I Forge Iron

Potential new anvil.

I am looking at a potential new anvil I found on craigslist.  Its a 209 lb Hay Budden, the asking price is $400.  I am looking at it in the morning, the condition looks good, I couldn't see any swayback in the photos, just looked a little rusty, he claims it to be a 1901 model.  Does this sound like a deal I should jump on? I've seen smaller anvils going for more.  Any Info is appreciated!

Thank you for your timely response!  It is affordable and I plan on testing the rebound first thing. $400 seems like a great deal, I just don't have any back ground info on
Hay Budden anvils.  I've only scratched the surface of the pile of info I have found online, there is a lot.  Since I am meeting with the owner in the morning, I was hoping for a bit of insight from someone more seasoned than I am.  I've only been at this for a few months now.

17 hours ago, jjhend28 said:

Wow, thanks for that link.  Sounds like I might have stumbled onto a good deal.  I'm for sure picking it up in the morning!  Thanks for your help!

let us know how it turns out, pics would be great! congratulations on the anvil and for starting into the craft of blacksmithing!

Littleblacksmith

Well, bad news and good news.  First the bad, he sold the anvil out from under me.... disappointing, but you can't expect good business ethics from craigslist.  But the good news, I located a 80lb chunk of 1 inch tool steel plate that cost me a whopping 10$ to turn into an anvil until I can afford an actually one.  I figure the plate will at least give me a better work surface than the RR track I have been using. Currently its sitting in my garage while I work out how to get it mounted into a stump for a nice flat work surface.

Thanks for the advice. I will for sure keep that in mind!   I'm thinking a 4x4 stump with it mounted on edge and my RR track mounted into it with some over hang for a forming "Horn" will probably be what I end up with.  I'm still working out the details of the design.

• 1 month later...