I Forge Iron

Hay Budden

Glenn

The Hay Budden I used was 135# or so, had good rebound. The horn size was perfect for many projects. The ring was very good, so much so that this anvil was used at demos in order to announce there was a blacksmith in the area and attract attention. You could kill the ring by bedding the anvil in about 3 inches of sand.  

The Hay Budden was a good size and weight and many projects were made on that great tool.

My Hay Budden is characterized by having a very hard very thick face.  I got it with fine pitting over the entire face as it was stored in a damp location with regular temperature swings for 50 years.  I brushed off loose rust and have been using it allowing the scale to polish the face in use. (The sweet spot is pretty much polished out!)  It is 134 pounds and I purchased it at auction from an HVAC company that was shutting down.  They had moved to the "new" building in 1938....none of the grandkids wanted to continue the business.  I chose to go to this auction as it was a business auction, (not antiques, etc), it was held on a holiday weekend (cutting down on the business people attending)  Only 2 people bid on the anvil and I got it for slightly over US$1 a pound.

I once owned a 198# Swell Horned Farrier's style HB.  Very narrow face, (narrower than the face on my 91# anvil!), enormous swell horn.  I traded it for an anvil more accurate for medieval/renaissance demo use.

I used to have one that weighed 110 lbs which also got used on demos.  Very hard face that stood up to many years of work - most of them before I became its caretaker.  I also used to work on a 300 lb stationary anvil - also a great tool with outstanding rebound.

All of my experiences with H-B anvils have been positive - they definitely rank near the top for brand names.

I have two HB's, a 99 and 115. The 99 I got for the price of a fix, because the face needed major work. I refaced it with Stoody rod and have it to my wife. The 115 was listed on CL as a "70 pound Hines Brooden". I called 11 minutes after it was listed, and met the guy the next day with $125. He told me he knew he listed it too cheap as he got about 40 calls before I picked it up. I enjoy working on this anvil. Great rebound.

post-28590-0-39261900-1393721429_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

304 pounds Plateless made around 1914

No ball bearings yet to test rebound

Came from a shop in KY

All I could find on it was came out of old tiimers shop, but due to size and the saftey green I figure some industrial shop before that

Very good rebound, nice ring and durable. Has withstood my hammer control for several years :)

IMG_0489.jpg

486 pounds Plateless made around 1920

No bearing to test rebound

Some factory in New Hampshire, before that i dont know

When I found anvil of this size, in this conditon by this fine maker, I went and got it

Have yet to forge on it, picked it up and then moved across the state, looking foward to working it out

IMG_0722.jpg

I highly reccomend this maker to folks, I especially like the late plateless ones, very very durable anvils

I've had three in the past, and I currently have three other HB's. My first was a farriers' pattern, as in the early 1960's, I was learning farriery. It weighed 158 pounds, and I carried it in my shoeing rig and hoisted it on my hip from tailgate to angle iron stand and back again for a few years. Not a problem. That anvil lacked a swell to the horn. I had another farriers' HB that weighed 140 pounds. It lacked the swell, and had a single pritchel hole, rather than two. The other was similar to what Thomas described, a 211 pound farriers' anvil with the swelled horn, two pritchel holes, and narrow face. I don't think that any of the farriers' HB's had a cutting table.

Presently, I have one quite old smith's pattern weighed on the coal yard scale @ 225 pounds. It is bulky built and I believe quite old. Some of the serial numbers are illegible. There is no number in the waist under the horn base. Another smith's pattern is 227 pounds and is sleeker looking than the one just mentioned. I dare say it has beautiful lines. Has a loud ring. I recently acquired an HB that I haven't weighed, but I'm confident it weighs over 300 pounds. It has no markings except a single number stamped in the waist just under the horn base. This number tells me it's an HB. This big anvil has a proportionately thin base. This anvil came to me with a droopy horn end and point. While it was on the ground, I tipped it to sit on its heel and heated about 3" of the horn end with the rosebud. I free hand hammered the horn into shape with several heats, bringing it up from the bottom and leveling the topline.

Sayings and Cornpone

"I seek not to imitate the masters; rather, I seek what they sought."

Oriental saying

My HB is 150lb 1918 or 1919 2 piece anvil branded as H Hudson Tool Co. Face edges are pretty beat up with a few torch gouges, but the face is still hard and flat.

I was looking for an anvil and happened on Mr Hudson sitting on a pallet at a feed store. The anvil, a forge, and hand crank blower had been used for decoration in an old store in NC. Prior to that, I don't know. 

This was my first anvil and gouges and all it is a fantastic anvil to work on, Have never done a ball bearing rebound test, but I know from experience that missing the work with the hammer can be an exciting time.

Pic is the day I got it home.

It now lives on a stump in my shop

post-30093-0-99346700-1395173233_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

I got lucky when I was first looking for an anvil. I knew I wanted something with a good ring & rebound to it and of course in good condition.  I found this HB at a barn sale for $400.  The fellow had 2-3 anvils of various brands and sizes.  It's 190# and rings like a church bell.  Even when cabled down to a stump it still has quite the ring.  Rebound wise, if you miss your work hopefully you're not leaned over too close.  I'd like to find another smaller one to travel with.

post-42293-0-27218200-1410441624_thumb.j

post-42293-0-69581200-1410441992_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 108# HB that belonged to my great great grandfather, who used it on his subsistence farm.  I only recently bought it back from the shed on the farm property where it had been since the early 1900s.  It's in pretty nice condition and I'm still trying to learn more about it.  Kind of a sentimental item so that I've not yet brought myself to hit it with a hammer, but I am looking forward to putting some hot iron on it before too much longer.

• 1 year later...

My main anvil is a 149 #  H.B. Smith's style. not sure on the age but it's a one piece body with top plate. the numbers are hard to read as most are. Flat face and a nice erect horn, a few minor chips from previous owners (none from me,............ yet) and the typical H.B. tiny pits on the face from not being cared for in the past. No idea the % of rebound but I have bounced the hammer once or twice and nearly stamped my forehead......  That thing rings loud and proud, even with a chain wrapped around it !  just the right amount in my opinion.

My other one is a 96 # Arm/Hammer, same age, shape, chipping but less pitting and a nice ear piercing song when played on the heel !

Some day, maybe a new Reff or Pedd ~ 275 - 330lbs, but that day seem further away with each sunrise.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

New addition to the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  200 lb Hay Budden, later model, serial number too corroded to read.  It came with a nifty iron base, weighing in at 335 lb!  It fit so well that I suspect it was made for this anvil.  I just used detergent and a hand wire brush to clean it, then a light coat of Gibbs oil.  I want to preserve the patina.IMG_20170410_215238469.thumb.jpg.911f2b5a4e5ee2cdd4f7639c7b4844f4.jpg