I Forge Iron

Stainless Steel & HC Steel Damascus pattern?

David Durman

I'm taking a Metal Working class at the local University. The shop is amazing, but there is little guidance in the class; they have a schedule but the professor clarified at the first class that the eight weeks really focus on what the students want to do (if everyone wants to blacksmith, they focus on that, if everyone wants to cast bronze, they do that). There are two bronze castings I already plan on doing, but the one project I'm iffy on with my time there is trying to at least make a damascus billet, if not a new kitchen knife if time allows. I have a 4 ft piece of 2"x1/8" 52100 steel I got from New Jersey Steel Baron, but I don't really have any other HC steel on hand; I can order some 1084 or something similar, but it occurred to me that my current kitchen knife (that desperately needs replacing) is Stainless Steel, so I was wondering if I could use it with the 52100 for damascus. As far as I know there shouldn't be a problem, but I'm an amateur so I was hoping someone would have experience with this. Thanks for any help!

It can be done. The real question is can you?  that all depends how much forge welding you have done already and if  you can keep the oxygen away from the stainless.  if you dont that will allow chrome oxides to form, preventing welding also 52100 and stainless isnt a beginner mix either, but I explained that already so I wont go into it again.  If your interested look at the knife making classes.

I suggest making a simple mono steel blade form the 52100 and forget pattern welding for now,  If you already had the skills for this you would not have asked, and you already stated that you dont have time yet.

I agree with Steve on this one, that is way to tough to make happen.  52100 doesn't exactly want to weld to itself (it will, just not easy) due to the alloy content.  Throw in stainless and getting a solid weld probably isn't going to happen unless it's done perfectly.  Infact, I wouldn't recommend 52100 for anyone making Damascus for the first time.

That should be enough of a challenge for a beginning bladesmith.  Keeping a thin, largish, knife warp free during heat treatment, or not loosing the temper during grinding (depending on how much grinding you do before and after the heat treat) should push your limits if you haven't made any knives before, and have little or no instruction.  I strongly suggest you make a paring knife out of the material first so you can get your process worked out before you invest the time into fabricating a kitchen knife, even if you aren't going to be doing any forging.  That way when you are done you will have a set...

You may even want to consider sending the blank out for professional heat treatment.  Here is some good info on the heat treatment process for blades made of 52100:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1263160-52100-heat-treat-summary