I Forge Iron

Finally found me an anvil.

Got lucky today and picked up a #150 Trenton in pretty darn good shape. Have searched most of the afternoon for date age from serial numbers with no luck. Can anyone help? First set I know is the weight . Second set I think is A8075A 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice anvil!

If the serial number were only "8075" without any letters, it would be dated 1899.  Postman didn't list any letter prefixes or suffixes in his list of serial numbers.  Maybe some Trenton experts could lend additional information.  Maybe you could dust with flour or try different lighting to see if the "A"'s might be "4"'s.

While searching for date info, several results came up by the person you call Postman. Where do you find Postman's list? When I search all I find is the book he published for sale. I believe you could be right about what I thought were A's. Arkie do you have Postman's list? If so can you find serial number 480754?

Mr. McPherson, My apologies. During several google search's on how to date an anvil by serial number, they returned many post from the  "I forge Iron" website with answers to the same question from various people for different anvils. Not trying to cause problems or get anyone in trouble. Not asking for anyone to publish Mr. Postman's work. I don't think it would be a crime for someone to forward an answer to a question they found in a publication they happen to own or have read. If that were the case there's a lot of possible  copyright infringement going on across the net. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I'll ask anyone who's read my question to please refrain from any answer which has been referenced from Richard Postman's book for reasons explained above. I guess it doesn't really matter the age. I was just curious because..... that's my nature. I believe it to be a good find and will serve me well. Respectfully 

I don't see a problem with answering a question such as a date request.  Posting copyrighted content is another matter and is prohibited.  Copying his list of serial numbers would be prohibited.  Probably a great amount of information disseminated here is passed-on information related what someone read or heard from some other copyrighted material, but not reproducing or copying it. Many posts have been made wherein someone asked for a date and received it.

As for Postman's book, Anvils In America, I highly recommend you get a copy from the library or purchase a copy.  It is fascinating reading and you can learn a lot about anvil manufacturing.  His companion book, Mousehole Forge, is likewise fascinating reading, even for one like myself who is not a history buff.  It makes one more appreciative of the old anvils we use.  I recommend it highly as well.