I Forge Iron

Anvil identification references

I'm curious who all has reference material for anvils they carry with them when they are "in the feild". I have been wanting to get some pictures together that I can put on my phone to carry with me should I ever luck across an anvil. I'm looking for a sheet that would maybe show common/popular manufacturers logos. One for different pattern anvils. And I found one for different job by anvil. Does anyone here have info like this they carry with them?

anvilrecce1.thumb.jpg.6e4137768636a1c156

Definitely a book rather than a sheet;  IIRC Postman has over 250 English anvil manufacturers in his research and we are eagerly awaiting an update to "Anvils In America" and his book on the Mousehole Forge.    Learning how to judge if an anvil is a good one or not is much more important than who made it as even the best maker can have an anvil go through an owner's shop fire and go from top notch to poor!.  For American anvils Hay Budden, Trenton, Arm and Hammer, Fisher are the ones I feel are top makers.

Nope just carry a 1" ball bearing and learn  anvil testing.  What do you think people did before that book came out?  If I were to cover up the stampings on my anvils would they suddenly become less usable?

Also many things on this are relative and subjective. Even a junky cast iron ASO may be worth the price being asked. I'd happily pay $10-20 for a junky HF anvil to let the kids beat on. On the other hand a pristine example of a rare anvil may simply be beyond what someone is willing to spend, even if it is a reasonable price. You need to determine what it's worth for you.

For someone starting out, you don't need the best anvil available. Chances are you are going to ding and dent it while learning. You may be better off with a reasonably well worn anvil at a reasonable price rather than buying a pristine anvil at a premium price. Chances are you can always sell it later and use the money to upgrade when your skills are at a point where something like that is needed.

I didn't realize there were so many manufacturers of anvils. I thought there was only a hand full, with a few odd and end shops that made a couple here and there. I had no clue there was over 250.

Where can a person keep up to date on how close Mr. Postman is to completing his revision?

I have read about ringing the anvil and useing a ball bearing to rest rebound, I just have never had an opportunity to do either. So not sure what I should be listening/looking for.

I have never thought about how they knew about anvils before that book came out. And you are right, if you cover everything up, it would still be a good functional anvil. Sorry for not thinking about these things. :-(

The reason I asked this question is because I was talking to a man at my church about my home made anvil. And he started telling me how he had a RR track anvil he used a a weight for his plow, and how his after in law (who lIves right next door) has a square anvil with a hardy and pitcher hole in it and how he never uses it.

Then he tells me about his next door neighbor who collects junk and how he knows he has seen a handful of complete smith shops. (Anvils, forge, blower, tongs, vices, etc.) In his back yard just rusting and getting covered with weeds. He said he would introduce me to him if I wanted.

I don't know. There is some ting in my last 4 sentences that it won't let me post. I have no clue what the problem is. /shrug

Fishers are great anvils, but they don't ring because they are a cast iron body with a tool steel top plate.  Vulcans are similar construction, but a bit lower on the anvil ladder in regards to quality. Sharp edges are not needed, various radii are more useful. A perfectly flat top is also not necessary to do nice work. Some sway is actually beneficial in straightening parts. Once you know what to look for, it doesn't matter what brand it is.

So go to a blacksmithing meeting and ask someone to go over the anvils there with you so you can get the feel for what to look for. (And the 250 was just in England!  Not including France, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc and so on!)

You can probably find a local smith to go examine the junk collection with you; shoot I'd be happy to do it if you were within 100 miles of here...  Remember no guarantee stuff will wait around for you! Strike while the iron is hot!