I Forge Iron

Bolt Tongs size???

jtm1811

Hey everyone... so I'm rather new to blacksmithing and I would like to invest in a set of Bolt Tongs. I have heard that they are useful for holding round stock and square stock nd railroad spikes which i would love to start making knives out of. However they come in a bunch of different sizes which i dont know what they mean. The sizes say  BOLT TONG 4-5 mm  (3/16”) x 300 mm (12”) REINS W/BALL ON END OF REINS C.S.  i know that the 300mm is the rein length but idk what the 4-5mm part is?  could someone plz point me in the right directon or tell me what size would be suitable to hold railroad spikes and other stuff... cheers, Jake

RR spikes are usually about 5/8" square on the shank on average, so you are probably looking to get a pair of 5/8" bolt or spike tongs. Often the way tongs are made, you can usually hold the next size up reasonably well. With some tongs you can also hold the next size under, though on occasion with some difficulty. So say 1/2" tongs may work for 3/8" thru 5/8" material. This can be convenient when you need two tongs to work with the material. Say you need to get the work piece out of the forge, but then have to shift how you hold it to work the stock. I'll usually use the "wrong" size tong to grab it in the forge, then transfer the stock to the correct sized tong to work the material.

10 hours ago, DSW said:

RR spikes are usually about 5/8" square on the shank on average, so you are probably looking to get a pair of 5/8" bolt or spike tongs. Often the way tongs are made, you can usually hold the next size up reasonably well. With some tongs you can also hold the next size under, though on occasion with some difficulty. So say 1/2" tongs may work for 3/8" thru 5/8" material. This can be convenient when you need two tongs to work with the material. Say you need to get the work piece out of the forge, but then have to shift how you hold it to work the stock. I'll usually use the "wrong" size tong to grab it in the forge, then transfer the stock to the correct sized tong to work the material.

Thanks for the help :)  

No one size tongs is best. You can never have enough tongs as I am just figuring out and I'm pretty new to this! Anyways, for railroad spikes you want tongs that will hold 5/8" as DSW said, which is just under 16 mm. if you want a pair of tongs specifically for railroad spikes, check out this link. I'm not sure how well they work, but if they are specifically made for railroad spikes then I assume they will work for their intended purpose. Hope this helps you a bit.

http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/railroad-spike-tongs-18475.html