I Forge Iron

First hunting knife

grammer

Hi guys I'm a new feller here have really enjoyed reading all the posts and different things you can do and learn here I have just started into this great hobby I have taken 2 courses and am now on the road to building a forge haha here is my first knife I did in a knife course it ain't perfect but rekon she turned out pretty good she  started out as a 3 1/4 inch pieces of 3/4 inch spring steel and here were it ended up haha 

IMG_20160118_190500.jpg

Thanks NickOHH I appreciate that this is quite the art eh I don't rekon Ive had a nights sleep without I dreaming about some kind of smithing hahahaha gonna take yrs and yrs of playing around before I even have a little knowledge but I am interested in doin alot of the decorative stuff not just knives I'd like to see wat you have done

Heh heh, yup your addicted, just like the rest of us ! I got some things in the gallery somewhere, but I'm still figuring this stuff out to but you have stumbled into a great resource, would still be trying to figure out which end to hold if it weren't for this group of cranky old curmudgeons!! :D now get that forge built and get swingin! Look up the 55 forge blueprints .

amazing! that must have taken a bit of time to turn 3 1/4 by 3/4 inch into a knife. i realy like the handle you put on it. how did you attach it to the knife, with appoxy, drilled a hole in it and shoved it on,burned it on- gosh that sure would smell! just wondering.

littleblacksmith

hi little blacksmith thanks i appreciate it ya i did it in a course i took i was actually spossed to have a all metal handle with a fancy scroll at the end for a finger gaurd but was talkin to much and burned the end off the tang hahaha oops so i brought er home and put that handle on er i rekon it turned out pretty good for a mistake haha but anyways i drilled er and filed a bunch of marks in the tang {figurin that wood give the epoxy more to grab too} then i put er in a vise and hammered er on with a rubber mallet i aint a knife builder so im sure it didnt look pretty but it seems to have worked haha ive used er quite a bit and shes solid as can be so im happy with it  i also took the dremel sanding disc too get the white on each end just for a little extra flair hahaha hope i answered your questions

thank ya sir

thanks so much for replying, and for answering my questions. sounds like a good way to attach the handle, but than again i'm no knife maker. that sounds like a good mistake to me! Ha-ha:D something good out of something bad. again you did a real nice job, even though it was a "course'. I've always wanted to make a knife with an antler handle, but  was never sure about the handle (drilling a straight hole, fitting it, etc.) thanks again.

Littleblacksmith

hahahaha wen i eventually try a few more I will letcha no how i do them or sorry try different ways of doing the handles hahaha and thanks alot im really interested in makin myself a set of shoes to use in the yard on the weekend, I just started out and i already gots a list of orders (wife) hahahaha

grammer

im sure that the hoes (im assuming that is what you meant) will be better than any of that Chinese junk there shipping. have thought about making a hoe but have never gotten around to making one-funny how that happens. will be interested in seeing how they turn out.

Littleblacksmith