I Forge Iron

Picked up a Peter Wright Today

I picked up a nice 267 Lb Peter Wright today. I went to a local Saw Mill and got some stumps cut square for my anvils and the guy asked what am I using them for. I told him to mount my anvils on and he went on to tell me a story about how his Grand Father bought out a blacksmith shop in New Bedford, Mass in 1910 and he has an anvil and a swage block in one of the barns since he was a kid. Long story short I left with the anvil.

I can only assume this was used for the Whaling indusrty

Just now, littleblacksmith said:

that's a ton of stuff! did he just give it to you? wow.

Littleblacksmith

No, I gave him a thousand for all of it. I figure the anvil is close to that alone.

that's a pretty good deal. good job. that was a fast reply. cant have to much:D

littleblacksmith

1 minute ago, littleblacksmith said:

that's a pretty good deal. good job. that was a fast reply. cant have to much:D

littleblacksmith

I can't figure out one of the flatter hammers in the 9th picture in front of the lantern. It has 4 nipples one on each corner of the face. Was that to hold the stock in place or a guide to forge stock to a certain thickness?

Could have been, never seen one like that one. Maybe it was to mark where to puch four holes on a peice of stock?

Littleblacksith 

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That's a heck of a score for a grand. Where's the story? :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.

No story, the stuff has been sitting for at least 95 years, comes from Downtown New Bedford, Mass. Do you know what the flatter hammer is in the 9th picture in front of the lantern?