I Forge Iron

compressor for new style kinyon hammer

there is a lot of information but little agreement on an adequate size of compressor for the kinyon hammer.  trying to stay within reasonable budget guidelines.  looking at 60 gal. two stage or single stage 80 gallon.  do i really need a two stage compressor and higher pressure?  the single stage units have a higher cfm.  i am using the 2 1/2 x 10 air cylinder.  thanks for any advice.

Note that there are 2 cylinder single stage compressors and 2 stage compressors. Both have 2 cylinders. Biggest give away is that two stage compressors have two different size cylinders where twin single stage compressors both cylinders are typically the same size. Single stages top out around 125 psi while 2 stage compressors top out at 175 or so. Usually when comparing apples to apples, twin single stage compressors will make more CFM @ 90 psi than a 2 stage one will since you have in effect 2 compressors pumping at the same time. The 2 stage compressor takes the air and just compresses it twice ( hence the higher max output), but it still is only drawing air with one cylinder.

you can NEVER have too much air for these hammers. 2 stage minimum, 7.5hp is better than 5hp but 10hp would be better still. An extra storage tank helps. used air dryers are reasonably priced and worth the money to keep water problems out of your valves and cylinder. if you cheap out on the compressor plan on standing around waiting for air, a lot.

Thanks -- not my post, but I am interested..

From my understanding  air tools are rated by providing the necessary CFM@ 'x' PSI.

So -- can someone provide this figure for us?  ie. the cylinder requires 10cfm@90psi for continuous use?

That said,  I have used a lot of different air tools, and agree that more is better!

I ran some VERY rough numbers yesterday but got nailed by the disappearing post thing.  With some wild assumptions such as needing the full 90 PSI for a stroke and trying to make 2 strokes a second, you'd suck up about 20 CFM.  Most 5 hp wouldn't quite keep up if it was used continuously....but no hammer is.

In the real world, you have to re-heat material so a 5 hp would likely be able to catch up with no problems at all.

Go with 2 stage, single phase.  They are much more desirable for re-sale so are essentially "free" except tying up your money for a while.  5 HP sells easier than 7.5.  2 stage and cranking it up to about 175 PSI in the tank effectively makes it nearly twice the volume of the single stage at 90.  The ability to get some extra pressure out the line can also help with things like sandblasting.

My new Quincy is remarkably quiet and it's such a joy to *not* hear that I wish I had sold one of the kids and bought it sooner.