I Forge Iron

a late merry Christmas to everyone on I forge iron!

I am looking to get belt grinder, not a little knife sharpening one, but hopefully a big industrial one, something with maybe a 4" belt or so. 

if any one would have a link to a good one, a recommendation, or knows of a brand/maker, it would be greatly appreciated!

www.stephenbader.com

Hello Ethan,

Bader makes different models for whatever application you need. They are super friendly and very willing to talk with you about your requirements. Their machines are beyond compare and the quality is excellent. They can also up the horsepower on their motors on a particular model if you are going to be using it for heavy work, like the bench model. They are great to work with. These machines are not cheap, but I feel their quality is worth the extra money. That said, I just want to say that you are a remarkable young blacksmith and your work and work ethic are impressive. I look forward to seeing your contributions to the world of blacksmithing in the future. For the requirements you mentioned check out Baders floor model, it is called the Space-saver, takes a 3" x 132" wide belt and is available with up to a 7.5 horsepower motor. Up to a 6" wide belt is an option.

D

Ethan,

Also I should mention that for less dough a tough industrial machine is the Jett 3"x79" sander. Mounted vertically, with a 36 grit ceramic belt it removes material fast! 12-15 hundred bucks and available in a dozen phase and horse power configurations.

D

Ethan, this might be a think outside the box moment!:) a very capable type of sander is a stroke sander, typically used for wood work. However most are intended for industrial type use. You may be able to source an older  one cheap most are intended to use 4" or wider belts , these are usually quite easy to modify . Do a bit of research(google;)) and see what I'm getting at.

Good luck on this quest. 

Another outside the box option might be a vertical 4 x 106 belt sander typically used for glassworking (check Covington), depending on what your plan of use is.  They can sometimes be sourced used from glass shops that are closing for very attractive prices.  They don't have the massive motors that the metalworking ones do, but I have one and have gotten some good use out of it.  They can also be used wet, so that is a big advantage.