I Forge Iron

Help Identify Tongs

TwistedCustoms

Picked these up at a flee market. The hinge and pin are beefy, overall weight is two pounds! The jaws are flared out in a radius, one jaw is one half inch longer than the other and the teeth are quite sharp like the jaws of a pipe wrench. The tongs appear to be drop forged steel. Anyone seen a set like this or have any thoughts?

IMG_20151211_142330.jpg

IMG_20151211_142347.jpg

IMG_20151211_142315.jpg

Greetings Twisted,

I have 3 pair of clinching Tongs and for sure do not intend to shoe horses. What I have done is to straighten the top jaw to meet the bottom so they close together. I keep a set at the forge and have found they are my go to tongs for many applications . If nothing else if you look them up on EBay they go for 50 bucks.. Great find.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

On 12/11/2015, 4:48:13, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Twisted,

I have 3 pair of clinching Tongs and for sure do not intend to shoe horses. What I have done is to straighten the top jaw to meet the bottom so they close together. I keep a set at the forge and have found they are my go to tongs for many applications . If nothing else if you look them up on EBay they go for 50 bucks.. Great find.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Thanks for the info. I've already straight end the jaws and trimmed them flush. I knew as soon as I saw them I didn't have any use for them "as is". With a little twee king I now have a very robust set of pick up tongs. Thanks again for the responses!