I Forge Iron

Hi, I'm currently setting up a backyard smithy with hopes of one day having an actual shop to work in. I have the basics i.e. Anvil, Post vise, Workbench, and tongs. I'm working on getting a forge set up. I do need some help finding a good coal supplier in southern NH as well as any tips and or tricks to a blower for a forge like do I need to get a blower or can I use something else in its place? Any tips and tricks or helpful hints are greatly welcome.

Welcome to the forum BS, please add a location to your profile, if folks know in what area you reside they are better able to help you.

Until then, you could use coke or charcoal, depending on what you can get and you choice of fuel may dictate what type of forge you would be best using.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. There is a pretty extensive solid fuel forge section on Iforge with good bad and ridiculous designs to check out. Just don't get in a hurry to build THE forge or you'll have expended a lot m ore time and money on your first dust collector forge. Everybody who does this very long has inactive forges packed away in out of the way corners of our shops. I have several, 3 coal forges and good coal isn't very available here.

Frosty The Lucky.