I Forge Iron

Forging press bogged down!

hassjb

I have a home built press with a new 5hp, 220v, single phase motor, 5" cylinder and 2 stage pump that I can't remember the size of. Here's my problem. When I reach the end of the stroke on my cylinder the engine bogs and will stop totally if I don't release the control valve. My question is, does the pump have an internal relief? I replaced the control valve and that wasn't the problem so with a new motor and new control valve I'm leaning towards a faulty relief in the pump. Any ideas?...Joe

Not wanting to be the "safety sissy " But. ........ a control valve without a pressure relief added can lead to interesting(read catastrophic) results. The motor bogging and stalling may be a poorly disguised blessing.

Your profile doesn't give your location , however my personal experience has been that the places that supplied your kit /hoses usually have a hydraulic 'guru' on the staff and if you shlep the press to them they will usually take a quick look at it and advise you for free in the spirit of good customer relationships. Often it's just a 'didn't see the wood for the trees' thing sort of a 'duh' moment and sometimes it's a 'crickey just what was I thinking' .

Good luck. 

The control valve is a new Prince open center 2 way control valve with 2500psi relief. The fact that it doesn't reach the relief pressure now leads me to believe the 2 stage pump isn't switching over to the high pressure side, or second stage, causing the motor to bog. Possible?