I Forge Iron

Coat rack

4JS

3 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Nice work. I like the tall upper parts of the hooks, and the whole piece flows together. 

Thank you, it's only the second project I've built, I'm self taught and I'm learning as I go. I appreciate the compliment it means a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Errorgance said:

looks nice, I take it you used modern welding techniques for attaching the hooks? how much time do you think it took from start to finish?

Yeah welded them with a good ole mig welder. not sure on time. I'm just learning and teaching myself as I go so it definitely took a lot longer than it should have

10 hours ago, 4JS said:

Yeah welded them with a good ole mig welder. not sure on time. I'm just learning and teaching myself as I go so it definitely took a lot longer than it should have

I have been making stuff professionally for over forty years and I think a couple of projects in that time have taken less time than I hoped! It is unfortunately in the nature of trying to do a good job, especially if they are all one-offs.

Alan

4 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

I have been making stuff professionally for over forty years and I think a couple of projects in that time have taken less time than I hoped! It is unfortunately in the nature of trying to do a good job, especially if they are all one-offs.

Alan

I'm a police officer by profession, for the last 13 years and took up blacksmithing only a couple months ago. It's something I have always wanted to do. I've been teaching myself through trial and error, books and the occasional video. My hope is that over the next 8 years I can gain the skill to make it a second career. I find that I'm very critical of my work and I want it perfect, or nearly perfect yet I lackthe skill and experience. It gets frustrating at times and I spend more time redoing stuff. 

Edited by 4JS

6 hours ago, 4JS said:

I'm a police officer by profession, for the last 13 years and took up blacksmithing only a couple months ago. It's something I have always wanted to do. I've been teaching myself through trial and error, books and the occasional video. My hope is that over the next 8 years I can gain the skill to make it a second career. I find that I'm very critical of my work and I want it perfect, or nearly perfect yet I lackthe skill and experience. It gets frustrating at times and I spend more time redoing stuff. 

Perfectionism, Tis a blessing and a curse! At least you're not in the jewelry industry like me, where mistakes can cost you more than just time!