I Forge Iron

hammers

Bud in PA

I have noticed that a lot of hammers, specially the expensive ones, have a waist behind the faces.  What is the purpose of these waists?  I have made a round face on a engineer's hammer I bought from HF. It is a 3lb. hammer, and since I have back and neck problems I was thinking that a waist behind each face would reduce the weight. Is this the reason the professional $200 hammers have waists?

Does a nicely proportioned waist rest well on the eye? I think it does, and that goes for hammers too, especially expensive well made ones!

If you take a look at a variety of hammers of different sizes and types......for a given weight the waist provides improved balance, reach, and clearance as appropriate for the task the hammer is designed for.

Distribution of mass also affects the balance  and feel of the hammer.  Contrast the balance and feel of a Peddinghaus  Swedish style hammer with a French style by the same manufacturer.   Think about how a farrier's rounding hammer is used as opposed the crosspien  engineers hammer which is often called a blacksmiths hammer.  I believe that each feature of hammers we see has evolved because people came to believe that they in someway contributed to work they were doing.

My favorite hammer these is the Hofi Hammer.  Hofi hammers are copied in style as Czech hammers,  Nothing pretty about it unless you realize that it helps out with forging in ways that some others do not.