I Forge Iron

Hammer making weekend

Crazy Ivan

This past Saturday and Sunday I made two 3lb hammers from 4130. One is a cross pein I will be keeping for myself and the 45*diagonal cross pein is one I made to sell since I had the stock at hand anyways. Daswulf was striking for me on both hammers. Josh was around Saturday and got some pictures and a video or two and maybe he will post them here too. Here's what I got picture wise. IMG_20151109_242811173.thumb.jpg.51bb10fIMG_20151109_242838459.thumb.jpg.536fad0IMG_20151108_241634245.thumb.jpg.105c904IMG_20151108_012047117.thumb.jpg.64e6ebc

I almost forgot to mention something. In the picture of the drift running the temper you will notice the pein is in the vice, not the drift. I do that because on a cross pein I have found that the colors will run out to the pein faster than they will to the face. So I am using the vise as a heat sink on the tip of the pein until the face just barely shows color, then I take the hammer out and let the face comes to the right temp and at the same time. The heat runs to the pein evenly. It works great for me for even temper on each face.