I Forge Iron

My "new" forge

I picked up this Champion forge Wed. for $150. I hope i did good on the price, It is the only one I have found in my area, S.E. Mo. Could anyone give me an idea on when these were made or any outher info about this forge?

The blower works great  but the pan is cracked. Should I have it welded or brazed? I will be lining it with a red clay and sand mix.

Also there are three holes in the side next to the blower, are these for mounting a wind screen?

Thanks.

forge.jpg

forge2.jpg

forge3.jpg

forge4.jpg

Possibly another strap underneath between the legs to offer a little more support may be in order, and consider a clay based lining to help it out and I suspect it's perfectly usable. Certainly good enough to forge a replacement steel pan if you wanted or had too!:D

That should not prove too difficult to drill, good sharp HSS drill, very slow speed and good pressure, no coolant due to the slow speed and no lubricant as cast is self lubricating, all that carbon you know.....If it does prove stubbourn, you could try a masonary bit, the type with the carbide insert. But do ensure good support on the back and stay away from the edges as you don't want to cause more cracks or promote them later, which would be my only concern.

I was always told that using oil while drilling cast creates an abrasive slurry. Not something I want to experiment with but you don't need any lubricant as cast, grey iron at least, produces a fairly light powder when drilled that's almost like a locksmith's graphite powder. No big chips to jam things up. Supposedly the ductile grades behave differently but I haven't had the opportunity to play around with them.

If you do decide to get the crack welded you definitely want to take it to someone who knows exactly what they are doing. I've seen my brother try to weld cast and the results were very pretty... until things cooled down and cracks started to form. I think you need a nickel rod to do the job and preheating and post heating seem to be required as well. Don't quote me on that last bit though.