I Forge Iron

Fisher anvil age?

New to this forum. Been lurking a little and every time I do a search on something having to do with anvils, this site comes up so figured this is the place to be. Anyway, just bought this Fisher anvil from a guy who got it from his dad about 20 years ago but has no other info on it. There is no info on the bottom and the only markings I see are the Fisher name and the Eagle brand. Had to wire wheel it quite a bit just to get this info. My best guess is the weight being about 70-75 LBS. 

As you can see, the face is in fairly good shape with the horn having a few indentations. I did some research but could not come up with a date so I figured someone here may know what to look for or point me in a direction. Thanks.

Fisher Anvil .jpg

Fisher Anvil 2.jpg

Fisher Anvil 3.jpg

Thanks Nick, I buffed off that spot and thought it was an 8 as well but the more I stared at it, the more it looked like part of the casting.

So, with Fishers, it is common to see one number to indicate a weight below 100 LBS? 

Nice FISHER!  Yes, Fisher for the most part used one number below 100 lb, but not always.  Same with bigger one.  Sometimes a 100 lb would have a 10, or sometimes a 100.  Depended on the moldmaker and the era the anvil was made.

I believe your anvil is from the 1920's, based on where and how the Fisher name is.

Check out my Fisher & Norris Factory Museum Page on FB for more pictures and information.

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks and I really appreciate the info. It is interesting knowing the history of a piece. I will try to check out your FB page but I don't do FB so not sure how well that will work. 

I just got the anvil yesterday and it has been in the garage warming up since it was outside in 10 degree weather. Letting it get adjusted to the warmth before I start pounding out some copper projects. 

Looking forward to using it and am sure I'll have more questions. 

• 8 years later...

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

An 1883 Fisher anvil can weigh anywhere from around 20 pounds all the way up to 6 or 7 hundred pounds. There should be a number cast into it indicating the general weight. an 8 would be 80 pounds +/- 10 or 100 would be 100 pounds more or less. A set of bathroom scales would confirm the weight. Also if you would post some pictures of it we could probably tell you and let you know about the condition of it.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus