I Forge Iron

My first knives

BHein

Here are the pictures I have of my first few knives. I am getting the plunge lines better, and the handle shaping is still a work in progress. I have discovered that getting the deep scratches out after hardening is VERY difficult, so I am planning on polishing more before hand. Any other critiques are certainly welcome.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

cliffrat: I have not been happy with using the grinder for shaping, I haven't been able to get the plunge lines even, more practice is definitely required.

I start with a filing jig I found online. first step is with a double cut bastard file, next a single cut file then draw file to smooth things out. I then hand sand with 400 to 600 grit till the finish is what I'd call satin. Then to heat treat in my small forge, clean up with hand sanding 600 to 320. After tempering I polish with 320 then on the buffing wheel with jewelers rouge.

jumbojak: the wood I chose for the top knife is zebrawood, second from top is my first attempt at home-made micarta and the bottom knife is purpleheart.

BH, Setting the plunges freehand on a belt grinder does take a lot of practice, but the process is made much easier by using a guide/jig. Riverside machine works sells a pretty nice file/grinding jig with carbide faces that is useful for all sorts of things including filework. I made a similar tool from two pieces of precision ground O-1 that I still use for filework, but I have the Riverside tool for setting plunge cuts and the shoulders that the guard fits against. Whether you use the jig or not, setting plunge cuts on the grinder should be done with a very flexible belt (I use a Trizac A45) that is set to overhang the platen about 1/8-1/4 inch and operated at very slow speed (40-50%). Hopefully you have a variable speed motor. Pushing the blade up against the face of the platen very lightly, you then slide it across the face until the belt folds over the platen edge and contacts the plunge cut on the side of the platen. Repeat for the other side of the blade and you should be able to get those plunge cuts even. Using the jig makes it easy to stop at a specific point on both sides of the blade. The pic attached is using the jig to set the guard shoulders, it would be flipped around to face the other way when setting plunge cuts.

shoudlers.JPG

Thanks for the info and pic. I think that I could make something like that to work on my grinder. I have attached a pic of the grinder I made. I designed it to fit on my lathe to get the variable speed, however, I have recently acquired the motor and controls from an old treadmill and am designing another grinder to utilize them.

IMG_0281.JPG

That grinder is ingenious! If you use a flexible belt, you should be able to get your plunge cuts nice and even. If you are going to use the jig, you will have to make a work rest that is narrower than the platen (about 3/16") and supported from the underside.