I Forge Iron

Old Johnson Gas Forge

qss6387

We have had this in the ranches junkyard for a while and I want to get it working again. I will be using it to heat horseshoes while Im shoeing horses and also for small blacksmithing work (knives, spurs, etc...). How do i need to set this up from a propane bottle. I am assuming i need a pressure regulator, igniter of some sort. Any advice would be welcome.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Welcome aboard glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Search "Johnson Gas Appliance co." They have parts, manuals conversion kits, new and used forges, furnaces and a whole slew of gas burning . . . appliances.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi qss  thoughts old Johnson forges EAT propane for breakfast !!!!+ 

& they still make then the same way , I have one setting here I was given not used

if I ever wanted to use it I am going to build new burners for it that run on a hole lot lees propane !!

I thought  about a 2 frosty T burner set up or I could put in a ribbon burner with a bit more fabrication work -- just an Idea

the shell is a nice size though & it will take awhile to heat up that much casting

if you change it up Keep us posted on what you did & how it works -- there are others out there !!

Edited by IronWolf

These are more industrial units and so the cost of fuel was not as big a factor as durability under heavy use.  They generally come with a box that handles the blower and the gas orifices.  If you have that then the change over is standard and easy if it's not set up for propane.  If you do not then you have to figure it out yourself or retrofit to different burners.  I've owned one but finally traded it off for some high tech quench oil as my home built forges were doing me fine for far less cost.

Thanks so much gentlemen. I am planning on using a forge for small and simple blacksmith work (knives, hoof picks) and shaping my horse shoe, since I shoe horses. Any suggestion on a great little forge that would be handy for both?