I Forge Iron

William foster anvil

Dustmite

• 2 weeks later...
On 27 October 2015 at 16:42:36, Dustmite said:

I've recently purchased a William foster anvil I think it's dated 1859? It has the letters BB one under the other on it. Does anyone know what this stands for? Here are some photos I took hope this helps also I think the numbers are 2-0 17 ??image.thumb.jpeg.09a9e96759638e70687983aimage.thumb.jpeg.123b6ec3ee565bc0454f1a3image.thumb.jpeg.49413393660a05d9cdebb1aimage.thumb.jpeg.a8caa98ca31f514ef3998dd

many thanks.

The Bs are inspectors stamps. The 2 0 17 is weight in hundredweight, common on english anvils. 2 x 112 lbs, 0 x 28 (one quarter) 17 x 1 lb. Total 231. Nice score, they're good anvils, and that one looks like it's in fantastic shape. They're a bit notorious for missing the horn or heels due to failed welds.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a very abused william foster 1857 i believe and like "nobody" said my heel is broken off. Besides also that some one used it for something odd there is hack saw marks on it. But they do not make much noise for there size. The one you got is a great find hope you enjoy a great looking anvil.